Rodriguez, Boateng Honored For Efforts in the Northwest
JOHNNY RODRIGUEZ, CSUN – OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Junior • F • Madera, Calif. • Fresno City College
Johnny Rodriguez scored all three goals during CSUN’s 1-1 roadtrip to the Pacific Northwest.
• The 6-foot forward, a transfer from Fresno City College, contributed the lone Matador goal in a 2-1 loss to No. 9/23 Washington on Friday, heading in a cross from Jumoke Hutton.
• Rodriguez netted his first career brace in Sunday’s 2-1 triumph at Seattle. He put the Matadors on the board in the 13th minute for a 1-0 lead, then slotted home the game-winner just 1:33 into overtime.
• Rodriguez, who has scored at least one goal in three straight games, is tied for the team lead with four.
• He took six shots in the two games, with four of them on frame.
Others nominated: Dominic Scotti (Sacramento State); Adam Mickelson (UC Davis); Daniel Aguirre (UC Riverside); Rodney Michael (UC Santa Barbara)
ROY BOATENG, UC DAVIS – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • D • Rohnert Park, Calif. • Rancho Cotate HS
Roy Boateng compiled his third career Defensive Player of the Week honor as he spearheaded a stingy UC Davis effort on the road against Gonzaga.
• The senior defender helped limit the Bulldogs to just four shots on goal in a 3-0 shutout. Gonzaga managed just nine shots for the game – the second straight Aggie opponent to muster single digits in that category.
• Boateng helped the No. 17 Aggies improve to 4-0-1 overall and rack up their third shutout – all coming on the road.
• Boateng also was honored on Aug. 29, 2016, and Oct. 16, 2017.
Others nominated: Henrik Regitnig (CSUN); Edwyn Gutierrez (UC Riverside); Ben Roach (UC Santa Barbara)