North Division No. 1 seed UC Davis hosts South Division No. 1 seed Cal State Fullerton with an NCAA Tournament berth on the line in the championship game of the Big West Men's Soccer Tournament on Saturday.
Aggies, Titans Vie For Big West Tourney Title
The top seeds from the North and South Divisions square off on Saturday, Nov. 11 as UC Davis hosts Cal State Fullerton at the Aggie Soccer Field for the right to #RaiseTheCup and become Big West Men’s Soccer Tournament champions. The winner of this game receives the Big West’s automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament.
Game time is noon with a video stream on BigWest.TV. Live in-game updates will also be available via Twitter at @BigWestMSOC. Live stats are viewable at statbroadcast.com.
NORTH DIVISION UC DAVIS – NO. 1 SEED
All-Time Tourney Record: 4-6-1
Record In Finals: 0-1-0
Total Tourney Trips: 8
Total Titles: 0
Best Finish: 2nd (2012 finals)
SOUTH DIVISION CAL STATE FULLERTON – NO. 1 SEED
All-Time Tourney Record: 7-3-2
Record In Finals: 1-2-1
Total Tourney Trips: 6
Total Titles: 2
Best Finish: 1st (2014, 2015)
This is the fourth head-to-head meeting all-time between Cal State Fullerton and UC Davis in the Big West Tournament, but it is their first encounter in the championship match. The Aggies won by a 2-0 score in the 2012 semifinals at home, while the Titans exacted revenge at Aggie Soccer Field in the 2014 first round, taking a 2-1 decision. The two squads last met in the 2016 first round at Titan Stadium, battling to a 1-1 tie through two overtimes, with the Titans eventually advancing in penalty kicks, 5-3.
UC Davis Seeks First Tournament Crown
UC Davis has reached its second Big West Tournament championship game in school history. The Aggies lost 1-0 at home to CSUN in the 2012 finals. They are 3-2-0 all-time in home tournament matches.
Aggie NCAA Tournament History
UC Davis is seeking its third trip to the NCAA Tournament – and first appearance since 2008.
Cal State Fullerton is appearing in its fourth straight conference tournament finals – all under fourth-year head coach George Kuntz. It is the program’s fifth finals appearance in the 10-year history of the tournament. CSF is 1-2-1 all-time in the championship game, winning back-to-back tournaments in 2014 and 2015 – the former on penalty kicks when the Titans and UC Irvine battled to a 0-0 draw through regulation and two overtimes. CSF won the penalty kick showdown, 3-2.
Titan NCAA Tournament History
Cal State Fullerton is aiming to make the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time as a Big West member (1986, 2014, 2015).
• The South Division No. 1 seed has won the Big West Tournament championship four times (2012, 2013, 2015, 2016) in the five years since the conference moved to divisions. The exception was 2014 when South No. 3 seed Cal State Fullerton captured the title after playing three straight games on the road.
• A North Division team is seeking a tournament title for the first time. UC Davis (2012) and UC Santa Barbara (2015) advanced to the tournament championship game but lost. North Division representative UCSB hoisted the tourney crown in 2010 – prior to divisional play – when the Big West competed as a single division, seven-team conference.
• Total Big West Tournament title game appearances all-time – Cal State Fullerton (5), UC Davis (2).
• George Kuntz has guided a team to the Big West Tournament championship game eight times in the 10-year history of the event. This is the fourth straight finals appearance for CSF with Kuntz at the helm. He also led UC Irvine to four title game appearances (2008, 2009, 2011, 2013). He is 5-1-1 overall in championship games. The one tie occurred in the 2014 title game. Kuntz, then the first-year Titan head coach, defeated his former team UCI when CSF won a penalty kick shootout, 3-2.
• Cal State Fullerton’s win in the semifinals over UC Riverside secured the program’s fourth straight 10-win season. With 11 wins, UC Davis has posted its first double-digit win season since 2012 and its third-highest victory total as a Division I program. Only the 2008 (13) and 2007 (12) Aggies won more games.