Cal Poly Hosts No. 8 Cal State Fullerton In Top-Three Battle
Big West Baseball Release - Week 10
Big West Tid Bits
• League-leading No. 8 Cal State Fullerton (5-1) visits third place Cal Poly (6-3) for a three-game series as they jockey for position in the Big West standings. Long Beach State, who sits second in the standings with a 7-2 mark, visits UC Irvine and CSUN hosts UC Riverside. Hawai’i plays its first home conference series of the season this weekend as the Rainbow Warriors entertain UC Davis. UCSB takes a break from league action as it is slated to battle San Diego State.
• No. 12 Long Beach State recorded its seventh shutout victory of the season last week with a 4-0 win over CSUN. The Dirtbags currently sit second in the country in shutouts with No. 1 Oregon State owning the top spot with eight.
• In the latest RPI report, Long Beach State ranks 13th to pace the conference. Cal State Fullerton, who currently ranks eighth in the national polls, holds the 20th spot in the RPI to sit second in the league.
• Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State are showcasing two of the nation’s Top 25 pitching staffs. The Titans are sporting a 3.08 ERA to rank 14th, while the Dirtbags own the 17th spot with a 3.14 mark. Individually, LBSU’s Dave Smith paces the Big West and ranks 17th in the country with a miniscule 1.30 ERA.
The duo also ranks top 10 in strikeout-to-walk ratio as Cal State Fullerton (3.69) is third and Long Beach State (3.42) sits sixth.
• UC Irvine continues to be impressive on defense this season as it holds a .983 fielding percentage to rank ninth overall in the nation. The Titans of Cal State Fullerton also find themselves among the best with a .981 clip to grab the 14th spot.
• Hawai’i’s Brendan Hornung has tossed four complete games this season to pace the league and ranked second in the nation. In 71.2 innings pitched, Hornung has struck out 67 while allowing just 18 earned runs for a 2.26 ERA. The Corona, Calif., also ranks third in the nation in strikeout-to-walk ratio (13.40).
• The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission announced the watch list for the 2017 Johnny Bench Award and three Big West catchers made the elite list - UCSB’s Dempsey Grover, CSF’s Chris Hudgins and Cal Poly’s Nick Meyer.
• Thirty NCAA® baseball student-athletes who excel both on and off the diamond were selected as candidates for the 2017 Senior CLASS Award® in collegiate baseball and UC Irvine’s Adam Alcantara and CSUN’s Conner O’Neil made the elite list.
• USA Baseball announced the coaching staff for the 2017 Collegiate National Team and Dave Snow, Troy Buckley (Long Beach State), Rick Vanderhook (Cal State Fullerton) and Larry Lee (Cal Poly) join manager John Savage (UCLA).
• Cal State Fullerton is set to host UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara in nationally televised ESPNU games on Saturday, April 29 and Friday, May 12. The Titans are also slated to host a pair of contests on FOX Prime Ticket against UC Santa Barbara (May 13) and Long Beach State (May 27).
A selection of Big West baseball games will also be carried on ESPN3 this season with all games originating from Southern California member institutions Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Riverside.