Easter Week Makes For Light Schedule
Big West Baseball Release - Week 9
Big West Tid Bits
• Shutouts: Long Beach State crippled its opponents last week, delivering the goose egg in three of its four games to up the Dirtbags’ season shutout tally to six, ranking them fourth in the country. They shut down USC on Tuesday, 6-0, before dominating UC Riverside over the weekend with scores of 8-0, 11-4 and 3-0. In 2016, the Dirtbags pitching staff only recorded five shutouts.
Cal State Fullerton recorded its fifth shutout of the season on Friday, April 7 against UC Riverside (8-0) thanks to an impressive complete-game performance by Connor Seabold. With almost two months left of the 2017 regular season, the Titans already surpassed their shutout mark from a year ago. Their five shutouts also places them 13th in the country.
• In the latest RPI report, No. 19 Long Beach State ranks seventh to pace the conference. Cal State Fullerton, who bumped up to eighth in the national polls, holds the 20th spot in the RPI to sit second in the league. Both teams are currently knotted in first place in the Big West with a 5-1 conference mark.
• UC Santa Barbara’s offense was explosive on Saturday against CSUN, using a nine-run seventh inning to pull out at 15-6 win in game two of the series at Matador Field. The Gauchos hit four home runs in the win, including two from Austin Bush, for the most single-game roundtrippers for UCSB under Checketts (2012-present).
• A Big West trio owns three of the top 10 spots in the nation in walks allowed per nine innings. Cal State Fullerton is first with a 2.03 mark and is followed by Hawai’i in second (2.04) and Long Beach State in sixth (2.47). Individually, UH’s Brendan Hornung (0.72) and Dominic DeMiero (0.87) sit seventh and 10th nationally to pace the Big West. Hornung also ranks fifth in the country with a 12.40 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
All three pitching staffs rank in the nation’s top 50 as well. The Titans are 12th (2.78), Long Beach State sits 21st (3.12) and Hawai’i owns the 31st spot (3.30).
• On Sunday, a three-run, walk-off home run by CSUN junior Nolan Bumstead secured a 10-8 victory over UC Santa Barbara and handed head coach Greg Moore earned his 100th career victory at the helm of the Matador baseball program.
• The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission announced the watch list for the 2017 Johnny Bench Award and three Big West catchers made the elite list - UCSB’s Dempsey Grover, CSF’s Chris Hudgins and Cal Poly’s Nick Meyer.
• Thirty NCAA® baseball student-athletes who excel both on and off the diamond were selected as candidates for the 2017 Senior CLASS Award® in collegiate baseball and UC Irvine’s Adam Alcantara and CSUN’s Conner O’Neil made the elite list.
• USA Baseball announced the coaching staff for the 2017 Collegiate National Team and Dave Snow, Troy Buckley (Long Beach State), Rick Vanderhook (Cal State Fullerton) and Larry Lee (Cal Poly) join manager John Savage (UCLA).
• Cal State Fullerton is set to host UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara in nationally televised ESPNU games on Saturday, April 29 and Friday, May 12. The Titans are also slated to host a pair of contests on FOX Prime Ticket against UC Santa Barbara (May 13) and Long Beach State (May 27).
A selection of Big West baseball games will also be carried on ESPN3 this season with all games originating from Southern California member institutions Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Riverside.