ICYMI: Here are the top five things that happened in the Big West last week….In Case You Missed It!
1. UC Davis Advance To Third Round Of WNIT The UC Davis Aggies women's basketball team defeated both Utah and Colorado State on the road to advance to the third round of the WNIT, marking the first time a Big West school has advanced to the third round since Pacific did so in 2012. Next up for the Aggies is a showdown with Washington State on Thursday, March 24 at 7:00 p.m. Full Story
2. UC Davis Dances Its Way to Tulsa with 67-63 Win
Chima Moneke had 18 points and 12 rebounds as UC Davis won in its first NCAA Tournament appearance, beating North Carolina Central 67-63 in a First Four game on Wednesday night. The 16th-seeded Aggies rallied in the second half and held off North Carolina Central down the stretch to earn a trip to Tulsa to play No. 1 seed Kansas where they eventually fell out of the tournament after suffering a 100-62 loss to the Jayhawks. Full Story
3. Hyland Ties Big West Career Strikeout Record in Doubleheader Sweep Senior righthander Sierra Hyland struck out 10 combined hitters during the Cal Poly softball program’s Sunday doubleheader sweep to match the all-time Big West Conference career strikeout record as the Mustangs closed the Loyola Marymount Tournament and pushed their winning streak to eight straight games by defeating Sacramento State (7-2) and Dartmouth (2-1). Hyland (13-5), who threw seven and one-third innings of relief Sunday, struck out four Sacramento State hitters and six Dartmouth hitters to further her career total to 846 and equalize UC Santa Barbara’s Jennifer Davis (2004-07) for the all-time Big West Conference lead. Full Story
4. CSF’s Martina Edberg Wins for Fourth Time this Season Senior Martina Edberg recorded her fourth victory this season as she earned medalist honors at the Fresno State Classic Tuesday hosted by Fresno State at San Joaquin Country Club. Edberg shot an even par round of 72 in the third round to finish with a three-round score of 212 (-4), one shot ahead of UC Riverside’s Jakeishya Le (213, -3). Full Story
5. Big West Employee Makes A Deal With Wayne Brady
Big West Conference Director of Communications, Julie St. Cyr, appeared on Let’s Make A Deal and was lucky enough to be selected by Wayne Brady to make a deal. Check out the video to see if she was Zonked or not. Watch Here