'Eaters Host No. 1 TCU In Weekend Series
Big West Baseball Release - Week 4
Big West Tid Bits
• UC Irvine, who swept Portland in a three-game series last week to improve to 6-4 on the season, is slated to host No. 1-ranked TCU this weekend. The Horned Frogs, who face Dallas Baptist prior to their trip out west, enter the week with a 10-1 record. Their lone loss was handed to them by Arizona State (13-9) back on Feb. 24. This weekend’s showdown marks the first ranked opponent of the season for the Anteaters.
• A pair of Big West schools collected road series wins over nationally-ranked opponents last week. Long Beach State knocked off No. 7 North Carolina, 2-1, while CSUN also upset No. 14 Vanderbilt, two games to one.
• In the first three weeks of the 2017 baseball season, Cal State Fullerton and Hawai’i are sporting Top 25 pitching staffs. The Titans currently rank 11th with a 2.22 ERA, while the Rainbow Warriors own a 2.47 ERA to sit 15th. Individually, CSF’s Gavin Velasquez and UC Riverside’s Alex Fagalde are two of 29 players in the country that have not allowed an earned run this season.
• Led by preseason All-American Keston Hiura, the UC Irvine Anteaters are pacing the league with a .308 hitting percentage. Hiura is slugging a conference-high 1.028 to rank fourth in the country. Hiura also leads the nation in doubles with eight, sits ninth in RBI with nine and 25th in home runs with four.
• USA Baseball announced the coaching staff for the 2017 Collegiate National Team and Dave Snow, Troy Buckley (Long Beach State), Rick Vanderhook (Cal State Fullerton) and Larry Lee (Cal Poly) join manager John Savage (UCLA).
• In the fall a pair of Big West Conference baseball teams earned recognition for their incoming recruiting classes. UC Santa Barbara, was ranked in several lists, but received its highest national ranking in program history at No. 9 in Collegiate Baseball’s ranking. Cal State Fullerton’s recruiting class was ranked No. 21 in the nation, according to Collegiate Baseball’s annual evaluation in September.
• Cal State Fullerton is set to host rival Big West programs UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara in nationally televised ESPNU games this spring. The Titans welcome the ESPNU cameras to Goodwin Field on Saturday, April 29 at 7:00 p.m. (PT) against UCI and Friday, May 12 at 6:00 p.m. (PT) versus UCSB.
The Titans are also slated to host a pair of contests of FOX Prime Ticket with the first showdown taking place May 13 at Goodwin Field. Cal State Fullerton will host 2016 College World Series participant UC Santa Barbara. On Saturday, May 27, CSF will play longtime rival Long Beach State at Goodwin Field. First pitches for both games will be 7:00 p.m.
A selection of Big West baseball games will also be carried on ESPN3 this season with all games originating from Southern California member institutions Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Riverside. Every Big West team will make an appearance on the televised baseball schedule.
Every game on ESPN’s platforms is available through WatchESPN, accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app, through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold members, on Apple TV and Roku to fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider.