Big West Baseball Release - Week 3
• On Friday, Feb. 24 at Fresno State, the UC Riverside baseball team brought its late-inning magic to the ballpark, erasing a 3-0 deficit in the eight and ninth, and pushing the winning run across in the 18th on an RBI single by freshman Connor Cannon. The 18 innings tied the program record for its longest game ever, originally set back in 1979 against Chapman University.
• A 5-0 shutout victory over UNLV on Sunday, February 26 handed Cal State Fullerton head coach Rick Vanderhook his 200th overall win. Currently in his sixth season at the helm of the Titans, he owns a 200-105-0 record.
• UC Irvine is the lone Big West school hitting over .300 this season (.305) thanks in part to the power of Keston Hiura. While competing in last week’s Tony Gwynn Classic, Hiura was on fire as he belted four home runs to rank ninth in the country. His average of .57 home runs per game earns him the nation’s 12th spot. He is currently batting .444, while pacing the Big West in slugging percentage (1.074), runs scored (11), RBI (15) and total bases (29).
• Once again Cal State Fullerton is sporting one of the top pitching staffs in the country as it paces the league and ranks ninth in the country with a 1.97 earned run average.
• Cal State Fullerton continues to rank in multiple publications, with its highest place of 7th coming by way of Baseball America. Following a sweep of Tulane where the Gauchos outscored the Green Wave, 27-10, UC Santa Barbara continues to hold a spot in the Top 25 as it earned the 23rd spot in the Baseball America poll.
• USA Baseball announced the coaching staff for the 2017 Collegiate National Team and Dave Snow, Troy Buckley (Long Beach State), Rick Vanderhook (Cal State Fullerton) and Larry Lee (Cal Poly) join manager John Savage (UCLA).
• In the fall a pair of Big West Conference baseball teams earned recognition for their incoming recruiting classes. UC Santa Barbara, was ranked in several lists, but received its highest national ranking in program history at No. 9 in Collegiate Baseball’s ranking. Cal State Fullerton’s recruiting class was ranked No. 21 in the nation, according to Collegiate Baseball’s annual evaluation in September.
• Cal State Fullerton is set to host rival Big West programs UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara in nationally televised ESPNU games this spring. The Titans welcome the ESPNU cameras to Goodwin Field on Saturday, April 29 at 7:00 p.m. (PT) against UCI and Friday, May 12 at 6:00 p.m. (PT) versus UCSB.
The Titans are also slated to host a pair of contests of FOX Prime Ticket with the first showdown taking place May 13 at Goodwin Field. Cal State Fullerton will host 2016 College World Series participant UC Santa Barbara. On Saturday, May 27, CSF will play longtime rival Long Beach State at Goodwin Field. First pitches for both games will be 7:00 p.m.
A selection of Big West baseball games will also be carried on ESPN3 this season with all games originating from Southern California member institutions Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Riverside. Every Big West team will make an appearance on the televised baseball schedule.
Every game on ESPN’s platforms is available through WatchESPN, accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app, through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold members, on Apple TV and Roku to fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider.