Titan Invitational Wraps Up Regular Season Competition
Big West Cross Country Weekly Release No. 9
Cal State Fullerton has the spotlight in the final regular season weekend, hosting the Titan Invitational on the CSF campus.
The Titans will host a talented field in a women’s 5K and men’s 8K on Friday afternoon. The course starts and finishes at the CSF Track, while looping around the Sports Complex.
• Speaking of Cal State Fullerton, the squad had a solid day at the Highlander Invitational as both teams were second in their respective races. This marked the third time this season that both clubs have finished in the top two of a meet, while the men recorded their third top two showing in their first four races for the first time since 2014.
The men were led by sophomore Sam Pimentel who finished third in the 6K with a PR of 17:57.8. He was joined in the top 10 by freshman Freek Van de Weerd who recorded a seventh place showing in 18:14.59. The women’s team was led by junior Brianna Jacklin as she finished the 5K in sixth at 17:42.42. That marked her third top 10 finish of the season.
• The UC Irvine men’s team picked up its third victory of the season at the Highlander Invitational, placing an impressive five runners in the top 10.
Senior Isaiah Thompson was the top collegiate finisher and second overall with a time of 17:56.33. The rest of his teammates came through in a pack as junior Izzak Mireles (6th - 18:09.56), freshman Hector Garcia (8th - 18:15.90), senior Nolan Del Valle (9th - 18:17.17) and sophomore Branden Randall (10th - 18:17.97) rounded out the scoring positions.
• Hawai’i sophomore Camille Campos recorded her fifth straight PR at the Bronco Invitational last weekend. She finished third in the 6K in a program-record 20:03.4, the best time in the Big West this season and 41 seconds of her previous 6K best.
• Cal Poly’s busy weekend was a success as the squad competed at Pre-Nationals and hosted the Cal Poly Invitational. Sophomore Peyton Bilo finished third in the women’s 6K in the presitious Blue race, crossing the finish in 20:11.5. Junior Clayton Hutchins completed the men’s 8K Blue run in 22nd at 24:24.6. In all, the women finished 12th and the men 11th among fields full of nationally and regionally ranked opposition.
Back at home, sophomore Maddie McDonald won the women’s 5K in 18:39.3, while freshman Kaleb Kunes was the top attached finisher in third at 27:25.0 over the 8K course.
• The season will end in the islands as Hawai’i hosts the 2016 Big West Cross Country Championships at Kahuku Golf Course on the North Shore of O’ahu. The league championship will be return to the Aloha State for the first time since 1992, while UH hosts its first conference meet since the WAC Championship of 2011.
The UC Santa Barbara men and Cal Poly women will be looking to defend their titles. The Gauchos are seeking their third consecutive crown, while the Mustangs are in search of a second straight title and fourth in the past five seasons. The men will have the first run through the Kahuku course as they run the 8K at 7:00 local time, while the women’s 6K championship race will be run 45 minutes later.
Follow Big West Cross Country all season long through our platforms! Check us out on Twitter (@BigWestXCTF), Facebook (BigWestConference), Instagram (BigWestConference) and SnapChat (BigWestSports).