UC Irvine Seeks Divine Providence On Eastward Bound Sweet 16 Trip
Men's Soccer Release No. 16 | Updated Tournament Bracket
Making its third foray into the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament Third Round since 2008, UC Irvine travels to 11th-seeded Providence for a Sunday showdown.
• Since reinstating men’s soccer in 2001, the Big West has won at least one NCAA Tournament game in 12 of the 13 years that the conference has had a postseason representative.
• The Big West has sent at least one team to the Sweet 16 in 10 of the last 12 years. UC Irvine is representing the Big West in the Sweet 16 for the second straight season and third time since 2008. The Anteaters are 0-2 in two previous third round appearances, losing both times on the road – 3-2 to St. John’s in 2008 and 1-0 to Maryland last year.
• UCI is seeking to become the first Big West program to advance to the Elite Eight since UC Santa Barbara won the national championship in 2006.
• The Anteaters are third in Big West history with four NCAA Tournament wins, and are 4-4 all-time in the postseason. The Big West is 24-22-3 overall in the NCAA Tournament since reinstating men’s soccer in 2001.
• UCI is currently tied with Syracuse and Coastal Carolina for the most victories (16) in the country.
• This will be the second NCAA meeting between a Big West school and Providence in the NCAA Tournament. UC Santa Barbara defeated the Friars, 3-2, in the 2011 Second Round.
• All four of UCI’s NCAA victories have come via shutout, and the Anteaters have outscored their opponents 8-0 in those matchups.
Sweet 16 Bound: For the third time in program history, UC Irvine has advanced to the Sweet 16. The Anteaters dispatched UNLV and top-ranked Stanford in the opening two rounds of the NCAA Tournament, and travel to 10th-ranked Providence on Sunday seeking to reach the Elite Eight for the first time.
Wins Record Tied: UCI’s 16 victories this season ties the program record initially set by the 2011 squad. Only 10 other squads in Big West history have accumulated as many as 17 wins in one campaign.
Iwasa In The Record Book: Senior Cameron Iwasa leads the Big West in shots taken (80) this season, and he is third in the conference’s record book for career shot attempts with 234.
Breslin Seeks Minutes Record: Junior goalkeeper Michael Breslin has played every single minute this season for a total of 2254:50. That ranks No. 2 in the Big West single-season record book, only 42 minutes shy of the record held by UC Santa Barbara’s Kyle Reynish in 2006.