Cal Poly Wins Men's Tennis Tournament Title
Cal Poly – Hawai‘i MT Box Score
No. 2 seed Cal Poly claimed the program’s second Big West Men’s Tennis Tournament title, overcoming top-seeded Hawai‘i, 4-1, at Indian Wells Tennis Garden Sunday.
The Mustangs, in their fourth conference tournament final on the heels of appearances in 2007, 2010 and 2012, won the title for the second time in the last three years. Cal Poly (11-12) is the recipient of the Big West’s automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championship.
The selection show will be aired on NCAA.com on Tuesday, April 29 at 2:00 p.m. (PDT).
Cal Poly scratched out the doubles point in a nip-and-tuck battle with the Rainbow Warriors. After losing at No. 1, UH rebounded at No. 2 when Jonathan Brooklyn and Carter Lam won 8-5 over Devin Barber and Corey Pang. But the Mustangs grabbed the point thanks to the work at No. 3 by Jurgen De Jager and Ben Donovan, who edged Chas Okamoto and Marcel Chan, 8-6.
Hawai‘i tied the match at 1-1 as David Schuster earned a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 5 against Matt Thomson.
Senior De Jager gave Cal Poly the lead back for good, defeating Okamoto at the No. 3 draw, 7-5, 6-0. Donovan, playing No. 1 as a freshman for the Mustangs, prevailed against Brooklyn in a 6-1, 7-5 decision to give Cal Poly a 3-1 lead.
Junior Naveen Beasley was the hero at No. 6. The native of Spring, Tex. defeated UH’s Pavel Liska, 7-5, 6-3 to clinch the outcome. Cal Poly head coach Nick Carless has guided the Mustangs to the NCAA Tournament twice in his short three-year tenure in San Luis Obispo.
The Rainbow Warriors, making their first finals appearance in their second year as a Big West member, finished the season 8-12.
BIG WEST TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN
(2) CAL POLY 4, (1) HAWAI‘I 1
1. Comuzzo/Thomson (CP) def. Schuhmann/Schuster (UH) - 8-4
2. Brooklyn/Carter Lam (UH) def. Devin Barber/Pang (CP) - 8-5
3. De Jager/Donovan (CP) def. Okamoto/Marcel Chan (UH) - 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Ben Donovan (CP) def. Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) - 6-1, 7-5
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) vs. Nils Schuhmann (UH) - DNF
3. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Chas Okamoto (UH) - 7-5, 6-0
4. Corey Pang (CP) vs. Danilo Casanova (UH) - DNF
5. David Schuster (UH) def. Matt Thomson (CP) - 6-4, 6-1
6. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Pavel Liska (UH) - 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1, 6