Long Beach State Captures 11th Women's Tennis Tournament Title
Long Beach State – UC Irvine WT Box Score
No. 1 seed Long Beach State claimed its 11th Big West Women’s Tennis Tournament championship with a 4-2 victory over No. 2 seed UC Irvine Sunday at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The 49ers improved to 11-3 all-time in the tournament finals, including a 9-1 mark against the Anteaters. LBSU has appeared in 14 consecutive Big West Tournament championship matches. The 49ers and Anteaters were pitted against one another in the finals for the seventh year in a row.
LBSU is 32-1 all-time at Indian Wells Tennis Garden since the tournament moved here in 2004. The 49ers improved to 20-2 overall this season and have won 11 straight matches as they earned the Big West’s automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis Championship. It is the third time in the last four years that LBSU has tallied at least 20 victories.
The selection show will be aired on NCAA.com on Tuesday, April 29 at 2:30 p.m. (PDT).
LBSU had to overcome an early deficit to get the victory. UCI captured the doubles point with identical 8-5 victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Brooke Schweyer and Sarah Gong defeated Maeva Razakasoa and Hayley Thompson at No. 3 to secure the point.
In singles action, Long Beach State quickly tied the match up at 1-0 as sophomore Ebba Unden rolled to a 6-0, 6-0 win over Marivick Mamiit. Junior Karolina Rozenberg made it 2-1 LBSU as she knocked off UCI’s Kat Facey, 6-3, 7-5, at the No. 4 draw.
Two freshmen claimed the final two points to clinch the match for the 49ers. Thompson gave the 49ers a 3-1 advantage with her win at No. 5 singles. She toppled Sarah Stadfelt by a 6-1, 7-6 (5) score. The Anteaters pulled to within a point when Schweyer out-dueled Holly Reid at No. 6, winning 7-5, 6-1.
With two matches remaining, freshman Razakasoa came up in the clutch against UCI’s Gong, prevailing in a 7-6 (3), 6-4 battle. On court No. 3, UCI’s Franziska Goettsching was up 5-2 in her match with Julie Gerard when Razakasoa clinched the victory for the 49ers.
UCI fell to 7-17 with the loss in its 11th championship match appearance all-time.
BIG WEST TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN
(1) LONG BEACH STATE 4, (2) UC IRVINE 2
1. Unden/Laura Eales (LBSU) vs. Mamiit/Goettsching (UCI) - DNF
2. Schweyer/Gong (UCI) def. Razakasoa/Thompson (LBSU) - 8-5
3. K. Facey/Stadfelt (UCI) def. Rozenberg/Reid (LBSU) - 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) def. Sarah Gong (UCI) - 7-6 (3), 6-4
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) - 6-0, 6-0
3. Julie Gerard (LBSU) vs. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) - DNF
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Kat Facey (UCI) - 6-3, 7-5
5. Hayley Thompson (LBSU) def. Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) - 6-1, 7-6 (5)
6. Brooke Schweyer (UCI) def. Holly Reid (LBSU) - 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 6, 1