UC Irvine Invades The Land Of The Turtle
Men's Soccer Release No. 14
Updated NCAA Tournament Bracket
No. 13 UC Irvine travels to No. 4 Maryland Sunday for an NCAA Men's Soccer Championship round of 16 game, with the Anteaters seeking to advance to their first Elite Eight in school history.
• The Big West has won at least one NCAA Tournament game in 11 of the 12 seasons.
• The Big West has sent a representative to the Sweet 16 in nine of the last 11 years. UC Irvine is making its second Sweet 16 appearance. The Anteaters fell to St. John’s in the round of 16 in 2008.
• UC Irvine seeks to become the first Big West squad to reach the Elite Eight since UC Santa Barbara accomplished the feat in 2006. That year, the Gauchos won the national championship.
• The Big West is 22-20-3 all-time in the NCAA Tournament since 2002. No Big West team has ever faced Maryland, UCI’s third round opponent, in the postseason.
• The last time a Big West team has won a postseason road game outside the pacific time zone was UC Santa Barbara in 2006. The Gauchos defeated Old Dominion in the round of 16. Since then, UCSB (2007 at Ohio State), UC Davis (2008 at Michigan), UC Irvine (2008 at St. John’s) and UCSB (2011 at Creighton) have lost.
UC IRVINE NOTES
Still Streaking: UC Irvine rides a program record eight-game winning streak into Sunday’s NCAA Third Round game at Maryland. The Anteaters seek to advance to their first-ever Elite Eight appearance.
Winning Tradition: The 15 wins for the Anteaters are tied for second-most in a season in school history. The 2008 and 2009 clubs also won 15 games. UCI’s record for single-season wins was set by the 2011 edition (16). Over the last six years, UCI has won a total of 80 games, the most of any Big West program.
Turnaround: The UCI program has experienced a 10-win turnaround from the 2012 season. One of the key reasons is an ability to finish out close games. The ‘Eaters are 10-2 in games decided by one goal this season, including six by a 1-0 score. UCI was 2-11 in one goal games in 2012.
Four-Headed Monster: The foursome of Enrique Cardenas, Cameron Iwasa, Chino Santana and Lester Hayes III have combined for 25 of the team’s 33 goals, including 11 game-winners.