Hawaii Softball Races Out To 6-0 Big West Start
Softball Weekly Release No. 9
No. 16 Hawai’i is 6-0 in Big West play for first place in the softball standings, seeking to keep the unbeaten streak alive this weekend when UC Riverside visits the islands.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Hawai’i is the lone undefeated team in Big West play entering week three with a 6-0 record. However, the conference victories have not come easy as the Rainbow Wahine have been challenged by Cal State Northridge and UC Davis in the initial two series. UH won four of those games by a one-run margin.
• Hawai’i has tied its season-high for most consecutive wins with eight. The team aims to extend that streak with a weekend home series against UC Riverside. The Highlanders are seeking their first Big West win after an 0-6 start.
• UH moved up in both national polls this week, jumping up two spots to No. 16 in the USA Today/NFCA rankings and one slot to No. 21 according to ESPN.com/USA Softball.
• Long Beach State and Pacific lurk just one game behind of the Wahine, tied for second in the Big West standings with 5-1 records. The 49ers won five of their first six league games on the road and get to host Cal State Fullerton this week. Meanwhile, the Tigers did their damage at home in the opening two weekends and take their first road Big West foray this week against Cal Poly. LBSU is a season-high nine games above .500 with an overall record of 23-14.
• Enjoying its best Big West start in three years, Cal Poly is all alone in fourth place with a 4-2 Big West record, two games ahead of its closest pursuers. The Mustangs swept Cal State Fullerton last weekend to secure their best conference start since the 2010 team opened up 8-2.
• Cal Poly head coach Jenny Condon is closing in on a milestone. The ninth-year Mustang mentor is two Big West victories shy of 100 for her career. Condon, who owns a 98-60 (.620) conference record, attempts to become the 10th coach in history to accumulate 100 Big West wins.
• UC Davis has played the fewest home games – two – of any Big West school at this point in the season. So it wouldn’t be any surprise that the Aggies are eager to return to their home diamond this week to play Cal State Northridge in Big West action. It starts a five-game homestand for UCD.
• UH senior Kelly Majam leads the Big West with 12 home runs. She needs one more bomb to move into a tie for 10th in Big West single-season history with nine other players. Two more home runs from Majam would slide her into a tie for fifth in the conference single-season record book.
• BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships. Head to this week for weekly event schedules.