Light Week As Teams Prep For Upcoming Conference Play
Files associated with this release:
09 BB Release - Week 5.pdf
Big West At A Glance
• After the first month of play Cal Poly, Cal State Fullerton and UC Irvine have all tallied double-digit wins. The Mustangs are atop the Big West leaderboard with a 13-2 mark and are followed by the Titans (13-3) and UC Irvine (12-4).
Cal Poly, who is perfect at home this season (5-0), returns to Bagget Stadium this week to host San Jose State in a midweek showdown and Notre Dame for a three-game series starting on Thursday, March 14. The Titans visit Oral Roberts for a weekend series and UC Irvine hosts San Diego State (3/12) and Nebraska (3/15-17).
• Cal State Northridge returns from a 10-game roadtrip to play the next seven contests in front of its hometown fans at Matador Field. The Matadors kick off the homestand Tuesday, March 12 against the 12th-ranked UCLA Bruins.
• In the words of Dick Vitale, it was all about the diaper dandies as two freshmen claimed this week’s Big West Baseball Player and Pitcher of the Week honors - UC Riverside’s Joe Chavez and Cal State Fullerton’s Justin Garza. Chavez pounded out 13 hits in five games, batted .565 (13-for-23), scored eight runs and drove in nine as the Highlanders went 3-2 in competition.
Garza tossed seven scoreless innings, while scattering just five hits and walking one. The right-hander struck out five during the 109-pitch effort and racked up his second combined shutout.
• The UC Irvine Anteaters are near perfect defensively, ranking second in the nation with a .993 fielding percentage. They aren’t too shabby on offense either, claiming the country’s 15th spot with a .318 batting average. Leading the way for the Anteaters is Connor Spencer, who is hitting .426.
Hawai’i and Cal State Fullerton also rank among the best defensively, placing 12th and 15th, respectively.
• Two Big West pitchers pace the nation in their respective category. Cal Poly’s Reed Reilly is tied for first in the country with six saves in 15.0 innings pitched. In eight appearances, Reilly owns an impressive 1.20 earned run average with 21 strikeouts. His effort assists the Mustangs to a conference-low 2.44 ERA.
Junior Andrew Morales has tallied a nation-best five wins with UC Irvine so far this season. In six appearances, three of which were starts, Morales has produced a 5-0 record in 23.2 innings pitched.
• Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.