Two Teams Look To Defend Perfect Record
Files associated with this release:
13 BB Release-Week 3
Big West At A Glance
• Cal State Fullerton and Cal Poly sit one-two in the Big West standings after maintaining unblemished records following two weeks of play. A sweep of No. 22 TCU last weekend lifted the Titans to 8-0, mirroring the program’s best start from the 2003 season. They put their perfect mark on the line this week when the Titans welcome former CSF Head Coach George Horton and the sixth-ranked Oregon Ducks (6-1) to Goodwin Field for a three-game series.
The Mustangs are 7-0 and off to the program’s best start since the 1981 squad also went 7-0. The 1954 and 1974 teams went 8-0 while the best start in school history belongs to the 1951 squad at 10-0. Up next for Cal Poly is a weekend series at Washington (2-6).
• Quite a few baseball fans received some free baseball this weekend with four Big West games needing extra-innings to decide the winner. The most impressive outing was the No. 10 Rice at Hawai’i showdown that went 16 scoreless innings before the Owls knocked in two runs in the 17th for a 2-0 victory. The game was the second longest in Rainbow baseball history, two innings short of the record set in 1978 (Oregon, 19 innings).
The UC Irvine Anteaters needed an additional inning to knock off California, 4-3, in the second game of a doubleheader, while Cal State Northridge played back-to-back extra-inning contests against USC. The Matadors downed the Trojans 9-4 in 11 innings before finding themselves on the losing end of a 6-5, 10-inning decision the following day.
• In its first eight contests of the year, Cal State Fullerton has outscored its opponents 56-16, which included two shutouts.
• After open the 2013 season hosting two four-game series against No. 6 Oregon and No. 10 Rice,Hawai’i heads to the mainland for the UNLV Rebel Classic where it faces Loyola Marymount (twice), Bradley and UNLV.
• This weekend Pacific heads to Arizona to face some of the best teams in the country as part of the Coca Cola Classic in Surprise, Ariz. The Tigers open the three-day event on Friday, March 1 against host No. 25 Arizona State. Saturday they battle Gonzaga and close out the tournament with a showdown against No. 2 Arkansas Sunday. This marks the first ranked opponents of the young season for Pacific.
• If you were wondering why Cal Poly is off to such a great start (7-0), look no further than the pitcher’s mound. The Mustang hurlers currently own a miniscule 1.29 earned run average to pace the conference. They have allowed just nine earned runs in seven contests. Cal State Fullerton‘s pitching staff ranks second with a 1.62 ERA.
• Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.