Pacific and Hawai'i Tied Atop Women's Standings With Three Weeks To Go
Files associated with this release:
12-13 WBB Release 16.pdf
With exactly three weeks remaining until the start of the Big West Tournament, the race for the top seeds and byes is heating up. Pacific (9-4) and Hawai’i (9-4)are tied atop the conference standings, with Cal Poly (8-4) just a half game back of the leaders.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• After opening up its Big West schedule by going 0-8 in January, surging UC Irvine has found February success to the tune of a 4-1 record. The Anteaters surge includes a home win over league-leading Hawai’i, and has them in a position to challenge for a Big West Tournamet berth.
• Pacific is in the midst of an extended slump with three losses in its last four games. The Tiger offense has slowed a bit during this stretch at 62.8 points per game, down from its season average of 70.6.
• After an 11-assist, no turnover effort in a win over UC Santa Barbara, Cal Poly’s Jonae Ervin upped her league-leading assist average to 4.7 per game. She also is now the NCAA leader in assist-to-turnover ratio at 3.18-to-1.
• Thanks to 22 rebounds in two Hawai’i wins over the weekend, Kamilah Martin is now one of two Big West players averaging a double-double on the season. Martin (15.3 pts, 10.0 reb) joins Pacific’s Kendall Kenyon (11.6 pts, 10.7 reb) in the conference double double club.
• After losing two at home last weekend, UC Riverside returns to the road this weekend against UC Davis and Pacific. The Highlanders have been an exceptional road team this season, going 7-2 away from the SRC Arena. It’s 77.8% winning percentage on the road is the best in the Big West.
• UC Davis lives and dies by the three more than any other team in the Big West, attempting a league-high 515 shots from beyond the arc. Their 166 makes in 24 games gives them an average of 6.9 per game, the most in the Big West and 30th in the NCAA.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.