Long Beach State, UC Irvine Look To Remain Big West Home Unbeatens
Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 16
Four schools – Long Beach State (8-0), Cal Poly (7-0), UC Irvine (7-0) and Pacific (7-0) are unbeaten at home in Big West play. The 49ers and Anteaters look to extend their home streaks this week. LBSU, which aims to finish league play undefeated at home for the third straight season, has won 25 straight inside the Walter Pyramid against Big West opposition.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• With three weeks left to play, Long Beach State is in position to clinch at least a share of the regular season title. For that scenario to occur, the 49ers need a victory against UC Davis coupled with a Pacific loss to UC Irvine. Long Beach State (16-9, 12-2) is one win shy of No. 13 in conference play. The only other two schools with the ability to reach 13 wins are Pacific and Cal Poly. However, with five league games remaining, the Tigers also can amass as many as 14 victories.
• The 49ers bring a 25-game home court winning streak against Big West opponents into Wednesday’s showdown against UC Davis. LBSU has not lost a home game in league play in three years – the last defeat coming on Feb. 17, 2010. A win against the Aggies would improve LBSU to 9-0 at home in Big West play and secure the program’s third consecutive undefeated conference slate at the Walter Pyramid.
• After a 1-3 conference start, UC Davis (11-13, 7-6) has won six of its last nine games to climb above the .500 mark in Big West play. The Aggies have had some road success against conference foes with three wins. In fact, they are one of only two teams with a .500 or better Big West road record – Long Beach State (4-2).
• Pacific rebounded from two straight losses on the road to knock off a pair of foes at home last week. The Tigers dispatched Cal State Northridge and Hawai’i to improve to 7-0 inside the Spanos Center during Big West play, notching their eighth straight home win overall. The game at UCI commences a four-game roadtrip for the Tigers.
• Cal Poly won resoundingly against rival UC Santa Barbara last week to extend its string of consecutive Big West home wins to 12 straight. The Mustangs are one of four clubs still undefeated at home in conference play – LBSU, Pacific and UC Irvine (7-0) being the others. This week the Mustangs look to overcome their road struggles with a game at Cal State Fullerton. CP is just 1-5 in Big West road games and 2-10 overall away from the Mott Athletics Center.
• Two players are within range of the 1,000-point career mark this week. Cal State Fullerton senior D.J. Seeley needs seven points to accomplish the feat. UC Irvine senior Michael Wilder, with 976 career points, is 24 shy of the goal.
• Long Beach State hosts Stephen F. Austin Friday on ESPNU and Pacific travels to Western Michigan Saturday on ESPN3 as part of the Ramada Worldwide BracketBusters event.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV. For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships.