Tournament Play Makes For A Busy Softball Slate
Files associated with this release:
2013 SFT Release-2.pdf
Week 2 of the Big West softball schedule sees the nine clubs continue to participate in tournament play, this time stretching from California to Texas.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• UC Santa Barbara is off to a 5-0 start thanks to a perfect showing at the Mardi Gras Classic in Monroe, La., last weekend. The Gauchos were dominant during the tourney, outscoring its opposition 30-3 an winnng each game by at least three runs. UCSB is also off to its best start since a 6-0 showing in the 2011 season.
• Hawai’i marked its return to the Big West with a solid showing at the Oceanic Time Warner Cable Paradise Classic. The Wahine went 5-1 in its tournament, including a win over #16 Washington and SEC member Mississippi.
• Two coaches earned their first wins with their respective programs over the weekend, both coming against the same opponent. Cal State Fullerton’s Kelly Ford earned victory #1 thanks to a 4-2 home triumph over Southern Miss last Thursday. UC Riverside’s Linda Garza collected her first win the next day, a 10-2 win over the Golden Eagles at the Fresno State Kickoff.
• Hawai’i’s Kaia Parnaby practically lived in the circle during the first weekend of play for the Wahine. Parnaby pitched 31.2 innings, struck out 39 batters, allowed just 13 hits and walked just three over six games. She started five of those contests and collected three complete games along the way.
• Long Beach State had an up and down offensive performance over its first three games. The 49ers scored seven runs on nine hits in a win over Wright State in their season opener, then managed only two hits and no runs against Texas A&M just hours later. The next day LBSU collected eight hits and scored five runs in a victory against Cal State Bakersfield.
• Cal Poly had a tough start to its season with a 1-4 record, but the Mustangs could’ve easily flipped that record. Three of the Mustang losses came by a run, including a tough nine-inning loss to #20 Stanford.
• BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.