Big West Softball Goes Live This Weekend
Files associated with this release:
2013 SFT Release-1.pdf
This weekend marks the return of Big West softball as teams hit the diamond for season-opening action. 2013 will feature a nine-team league with the return of Hawai’i to the conference.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Hawai’i was picked to capture the 2013 Big West Softball championship in a vote of the nine head coaches in their annual preseason poll. The Wahine picked up 76 points and four first place votes to edge defending champion Long Beach State. The 49ers had 73 points and also garnered four first place nods. Pacific picked up the remaining first place vote and amassed 58 points for third place.
• Two new faces will roam the dugouts this season as Kelly Ford and Linda Garza assume the controls of Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside, respectively. Ford’s assignment as Titan manager makes her just the third coach in program history. Meanwhile, Garza comes to the Inland Empire after serving as an assistant for two years at league rival Cal Poly.
• Hawai’i, which competed for 12 seasons (1985-96) in the Big West and made two NCAA Tournament appearances before departing for the Western Athletic Conference, returns to its roots on the heels of a spectacular 2012 campaign. UH began last season with a school record 21-game win streak, won its fourth WAC title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the 10th time in school history. The Wahine finished the season 44-9 overall and No. 22 in the final NFCA rankings..
• The preseason national polls show Hawai’i among the nation’s top clubs. The Wahine are ranked #23 in the NFCA/USA Today poll, while they check in at #25 in the ESPN.com/USA Softball rankings.
• Two players from the Big West earned a place on the 2013 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Watch List. Hawai’i senior Jessica Iwata and Pacific senior Nikki Armagost are on the 50-player watch list for the award. The most prestigious individual individual honor in NCAA Division I Softball, the 2013 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year “Watch List” will be whittled down to the Top 25 Finalists on April 10. The Top 10 Finalists will be announced May 8 and the Top 3 Finalists will be named May 22. On May 28, prior to the start of the 2013 NCAA Women’s College World Series (WCWS) in Oklahoma City, the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year will be revealed.
• BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.