Women's Hoops Kicks Off Second Half With #Play4Kay
Files associated with this release:
12-13 WBB Release 14.pdf
Three teams will don pink for a special cause this week as part of #Play4Kay, supporting the Kay Yow Cancer Fund which increases awareness and funds for breast cancer research. Long Beach State, UC Davis and UC Irvine will all have their special games on February 9. Next week, UC Riverside will hold their #PlayforKay game on Valentine’s Day, while Cal State Northridge and UC Santa Barbara will have theirs on February 16. Cal Poly and Pacific had their games on February 2.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• The stretch run of the Big West schedule begins this week with Pacific (8-1) leading the pack by two games. Cal Poly (6-3) and Hawai’i (6-3) are hot on the Tigers’ heels, with the Mustangs getting a chance to sweep the season series this weekend in Stockton.
• UC Irvine got its first conference win of the season last Saturday in a 70-57 road win over UC Davis. Camille Buckley played a huge role in the win, tying a Big West season high with 22 rebounds. The number is one shy of the school record and is the first time an Anteater player grabbed 20 or more boards since January 15, 2005 (Ashley Biggins - 21).
• Pacific owns the league’s best record at 18-3 and is in position to rewrite the program record book. With 9 regular season games remaining, the Tigers are two wins shy of tying the program record for wins in a season set in the 1994-95 campaign.
• Hawai’i has made a surprise impact on the Big West at the midway point of the conference schedule. After going just 6-8 in its final season in the Western Athletic Conference and being selected sixth in the Big West preseason poll, the Wahine are 6-3 in their return to the league. Kamilah Martin has been the catalyst for UH, averaging 16.1 points and 9.2 rebounds on the year and 17.2 points and 8.1 rebounds in conference play.
• Cal Poly is sharing the ball like no other in conference play, leading the way with 17.7 assists against league foes. The Mustangs are the only team that has three players in the top ten in assists during Big West play.
• The Big West Conference would like to send its thoughts and condolences to the family of Monica Quan, the Cal State Fullerton assistant coach who tragically lost her life over the weekend. The Conference and the entire Big West family join the Cal State Fullerton community in mourning this loss.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.