Central Coast Pair Look To Stop Long Beach State Home Court Success
Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 13
Central Coast stalwarts UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly get their shot to end Long Beach State's 21-game win streak against Big West opponents at the Walter Pyramid – in front of television audiences. ESPN NEWS carries Wednesday's game between the Gauchos and 49ers, while FOX PRIME TICKET is the carrier for Saturday's contest against the Mustangs.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Long Beach State remains atop the Big West standings at 7-1 as the midpoint of the conference schedule approaches. The 49ers own a season-high six-game winning streak and return to the Walter Pyramid for a pair of televised games this week. LBSU tangles with UC Santa Barbara Wednesday in a showdown on ESPN NEWS, then jousts with Cal Poly on FOX PRIME TICKET Saturday. The Mustangs, currently sitting in third place at 5-3, are the only school to hand the 49ers a loss in conference play thus far.
• Under head coach Dan Monson, Long Beach State has won 37 of its last 41 regular season games against Big West competition, dating back to the final regular season game in 2009-10.
• Long Beach State has won 21 straight games at home against Big West foes. The 49ers have not lost a Big West game at the Walter Pyramid since Feb. 17, 2010.
• Over the last three-plus seasons, Long Beach State is an impressive 36-7 (.837) inside the Walter Pyramid. The 49ers went 8-3 in 2009-10, 10-2 in 2010-11, a perfect 12-0 in 2011-12 and are 6-2 at home this season.
• Cal Poly owns a commanding 7-1 record at home this year. The Mustangs won their eighth and ninth straight games against Big West opposition at the Mott Athletic Center after defeating Hawai’i and Cal State Northridge last week. However, the Mustangs have struggled in road matchups to the tune of a 2-8 mark this year.
• After a loss to Long Beach State in the Big West opener, Pacific has won six of its last seven contests. The Tigers continue their grip on second place (6-2) with a single game against rival UC Davis the only action on tap this week. Pacific is strangling opponents on defense, a big factor in its success. The Tigers are allowing a league-low 61.9 points through eight games. They also share the conference lead with Long Beach State in scoring margin (+7.4).
• UC Davis knocked off UC Riverside last week to improve to 4-4 in league play. In so doing, the Aggies surpassed last year’s victory total of three with plenty of basketball still to be played.
• Aggie junior Ryan Sypkens leads the Big West with 71 three-pointers and has surpassed his previous career-high of 66 set as a sophomore in 2010-11. He is just 13 away from breaking the school’s single-season record of 83 held by Fowzi Abdelsamad in 2004-05.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV. For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships.