49ers, Gauchos Renew Rivalry on FOX Prime Ticket
Links associated with this release:
This Week In The Big West - December 31, 2012 - January 6, 2013
Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 9
Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara – the two pugilists in the last three Big West Tournament championship game clashes – meet again with FOX Prime Ticket delivering all the action for Saturday's 4:00 p.m. tip at the Thunderdome.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Big West league play began on Saturday with all 10 teams in action. Cal Poly, Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and Hawai’i emerged victorious, with the Mustangs the only squad to pick up a road win.
• In its Big West debut, Hawai’i eked out a 74-71 victory against Cal State Northridge as the Rainbow Warrior frontcourt trio of Vander Joaquim, Christian Standhardinger and Isaac Fotu accounted for 45 of the team’s points. Joaquim collected his fourth double-double of the season with 12 points and 11 rebounds, while Fotu’s 16 points and 11 boards marked his second double-double in the last three games. UH hosts Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside this week before embarking for six of its next eight games on the road.
• The long-awaited debuts of transfers Tony Freeland (DePaul) and Keala King (Arizona State) helped propel Long Beach State to a 67-63 triumph over Pacific Saturday. Freeland contributed 15 points in 35 minutes of action as the 49ers won their 18th straight Big West home contest. Their last home loss in conference play came to Pacific on Feb. 17, 2010.
• UC Santa Barbara and Long Beach State – the two participants in each of the last three Big West Tournament championship games – appear before the cameras once again as FOX Prime Ticket televises Saturday’s showdown from the Thunderdome. The game features two of the Big West’s top posts in UCSB’s Alan Williams and LBSU’s Dan Jennings. Williams, a 6-7 sophomore, leads the Big West and ranks No. 18 nationally in rebounds per game (10.3). He tops all Big West players with six double-doubles and seven games of 10 or more rebounds. Jennings, a 6-9 junior, is averaging 16.4 points and 6.8 rebounds over his last five games, including a 27-point, 10-rebound performance against UCLA on Dec. 18.
• UC Irvine climbed back to the .500 mark (7-7) after outscoring UC Davis 11-0 in overtime to win 69-58 on Saturday. The Anteaters have won four of their last six games. Senior Adam Folker posted 15 points and 14 rebounds and became the 18th player in UCI history to surpass the 500-rebound mark for his career. He enters this week’s action with 504 caroms, which also leads all active Big West players.
• Cal State Fullerton senior Kwame Vaughn was named as one of 85 players to the watch list for the 2013 Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year award.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV. For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships.