Nonconference Slate Wraps Up This Week For Women's Hoops
Files associated with this release:
12-13 WBB Release 8.pdf
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• With conference play slated to begin next week, the final non-conference games of the 2012-13 regular season take place this week. The week is highlighted by Cal State Northridge’s trip to nationally ranked Oklahoma and the red hot UC Davis Aggies’ home date against Washington and road contest with rival Sacramento State.
• Cal State Fullerton snapped a seven-game losing streak by the slimmest of margins with a 60-59 win over San Jose State. The win also marked the first time the Titans had hit the 60-point plateau since a 73-point showing November 20 against Loyola Marymount.
• Cal State Northridge picked up another quality win in the Jason Flowers era as the Matadors downed #12 (AP) UCLA on the road last week, 77-72. Prior to the win, CSUN had never earned a win over a ranked opponent and had not beaten a Pac-10/12 opponent since knocking off Oregon State in 1996. Ashlee Guay scored a career-high 28 points to lead the Matadors to the first win over the Bruins in school history.
• UC Davis had a successful trip to the Women of Troy Classic hosted by USC, going 2-0 to extend its win streak to a season-best three games. The Aggies opened up the tournament with a win over the host Trojans and followed that up with a victory over Cal State Bakersfield. Sydnee Fipps and Blair Shinoda were named to the All-Tournament team for their efforts.
• UC Irvine has shown itself to be a formidable opponent on the road this season, going 3-4 in away or neutral contests. The Anteaters’ mettle on the road will be tested over the next month as they play six of their next nine games away from the Bren Center.
• Hawai’i has been spending plenty of time on the practice court in December as the Wahine have had only two games so far this month. One of those games came on the first day of the month, a one-point home loss to Utah. The other was an exhibition game on December 18 against Hawai’i Pacific. UH’s idle time against DI competition ends this week as it hosts the Bank of Hawai’i Rainbow Wahine Invitational. LIU-Brooklyn, Cincinnati and Alabama will join the Wahine for the three-day, three-game tournament.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.