Finals Week Makes for a Light Women's Hardwood Slate
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - December 10-16, 2012
Women's Basketball Release No. 6
It’s finals time around the Big West as the league has just six games slated for this week. No team will play twice and only Cal Poly, Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Davis and Pacific will see the court.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Pacific dropped its first game of the season last week, an 89-92 setback to SEC foe Florida. The entire Tiger starting five scored in double figures and the team was within five at the one-minute mark, but couldn’t complete the comeback.
• Long Beach State also suffered a tough loss last week, falling to Santa Clara at the buzzer. The 49ers led by as many as 12 but gave up the eventual winning basket with 0.3 seconds on the clock. Bianka Balthazar scored a season-high 15 off the bench in the loss.
• Cal State Northridge head coach Jason Flowers has focused on defense during his tenure and his Matadors have responded in kind. CSUN leads the Big West in field goal percentage defense (32.5%) and blocked shots per game (5.7), while ranking second in three-point shooting defense (23.6%). Camille Mahlknecht has been the anchor in the middle as the 6-2 sophomore leads the Big West and ranks 13th in the NCAA with 3.11 blocks per game.
• After scoring at least 72 points in three of its first four games, Cal State Fullerton hasn’t gone over 54 in any of its next five. Aside from a blowout loss to Gonzaga last week, the Titans have still been competitive in their defeats with an average margin of 4.3 in the four previous prior to the matchup with the Bulldogs.
• There will be a big time race for the double-doubles crown this season as four players have already notched at least three. Camille Mahlknecht of Cal State Northridge, Sweets Underwood of UC Santa Barbara and Kamilah Martin of Hawai’i all have three double-doubles, while Kendall Kenyon of Pacific leads the leage with four.
• The wait has been worth it for the UC Irvine junior duo of Jennifer Tsurumoto and Camille Buckley as they have developed into leaders for UCI. Tsurumoto leads the club in scoring (11.6) and assists (2.9), while Buckley leads in rebounding (6.7), free throw percentage (75.0%) and is second in scoring at 9.9 points per outing.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.