Pacific Seeks Third Straight Win
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - December 10-16, 2012
Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 6
Pacific looks for its third straight win at home Saturday when Santa Clara visits the Spanos Center. With several teams tackling finals this week, the majority of action takes place on Saturday with seven games looming.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Pacific picked up two wins against Division I opponents last week as the Tigers dispatched both Nevada (78-72 in OT) and San Francisco (67-59) at home. The Tigers added those triumphs to a nonconference résumé that also includes victories over Xavier and Saint Mary’s. Pacific looks for a season-high third consecutive win on Saturday when it hosts Santa Clara.
• The schedule is relatively light this week as several programs turn their attention to fall exams. Only three games dot the ledger until Saturday when seven teams spring into action. UC Davis travels to Stanford and UC Riverside visits USC in a pair of contests that will air on the Pac-12 Networks. Cal Poly becomes the fifth Big West team to play Nevada this season, while UC Irvine seeks to end a five-game slide against Division I opponents in a road tilt versus Fresno State.
• The Big West is represented prominently in the national statistics both from a team and individual standpoint. Cal Poly leads the country in fewest turnovers per game (8.5) and ranks fourth in assist/turnover ratio (+1.73). A prolific offense has enabled Cal State Fullerton to rank fifth in both scoring offense (84.1 ppg) and three-pointers made per game (9.5), and No. 10 in three-point field goal percentage (41.5). UC Irvine is tied for seventh in assists per game (18.0).
• Individually, Cal Poly senior guard Chris O’Brien tops the nation in assist/turnover ratio with 18 assists to just one turnover through six games. UC Davis senior guard Ryan Sypkens, who has hit 30 three-pointers over six contests, leads the country in threes made (5.0 pg). Sypkens also boasts the fifth-best three-point field goal percentage (55.6) while teammate Corey Hawkins ranks No. 18 in scoring offense (20.5 ppg). Cal State Fullerton senior D.J. Seeley is tied for No. 10 in steals per game (3.0).
• Three Big West programs are currently receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll – Cal State Northridge (30 points), Long Beach State (15) and Pacific (9).
• UC Santa Barbara junior Kyle Boswell did all he could to help the Gauchos upset No. 15 San Diego State on the road last week. The sharpshooting guard hit a career-high seven three-point baskets en route to a career-best 23 points. The seven threes were the most by a UCSB player since Mark Hull drained eight against Arizona in the first round of the 2002 NCAA Tournament.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV. For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships.