Big West Teams Confront Road Heavy Men's Basketball Schedule
Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 4
Eleven of 13 games on this week's Big West men's basketball schedule take place on opponent campuses. Cal Poly, fresh off a win at No. 11 UCLA, travels to Saint Mary's while 6-1 Cal State Northridge takes its shot at the Bruins on Wednesday.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Cal Poly received national notoreity last week with an upset win at No. 11 UCLA. The 70-68 triumph was Cal Poly’s first victory against a ranked opponent in 19 Division I season. The Mustangs also handed the Bruins their first loss at the New Pauley Pavilion and spoiled the debut of prized recruit Shabazz Muhammad. CP overcame an 18-point second half deficit to gain its first win against UCLA in six tries.
• Cal Poly senior Dylan Royer earned the Lou Henson National Player of the Week award from CollegeInsider.com thanks to hitting a career-high six three-pointers in the UCLA win. The 18 points tied a career-best for the guard, who also captured Big West Player of the Week honors for his performance.
• Becoming the first Big West team to win its initial game and reach the finals of the sixth annual DirecTV Classic, Pacific also caught the attention of many last week at the Anaheim Convention Center. The Tigers dispatched Xavier and Saint Mary’s to reach the tournament championship game against Cal, eventually finishing runner-up to the Bears. Senior guard Lorenzo McCloud earned all-tournament honors. The Big West has won at least one game in the loaded DirecTV Classic field in each of the last five seasons.
• Cal State Northridge saw its season-opening six-game winning streak fall at BYU on Saturday. The Matadors lost 87-75, but held a 74-73 lead with 4:01 to play in front of a sellout Marriott Center crowd of 20,900. The game ended on a 14-1 Cougar run. However, sophomore Stephan Hicks continued to impress with his seventh straight game in double figures, a season-high tying 25 points. He also recorded his sixth game in a row with eight or more rebounds.
• Junior Josh Greene has hit 31 straight free throws for Cal State Northridge. He is one short of the school’s all-time record for most consecutive free throws, 32, set by Markus Carr during the 2000-01 season.
• The Big West faces a number of tough tests this week, and even more so considering 11 of the 13 games on the docket are road games. Both UC Irvine and Hawai’i travel to No. 20 UNLV, while Pacific heads to the northwest to tangle with No. 12 Gonzaga. Cal State Northridge looks to pin another loss on UCLA, which enters Wednesday’s game at New Pauley Pavilion ranked No. 24 by USA Today. Cal Poly is at Saint Mary’s and Cal State Fullerton visits Washington in two other tough venues to win a game.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV. For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships.