Battle For Second Place Highlights Final Week Of Regular Season
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release-Week 14
Big West At A Glance
• As we enter the final week of the regular season, we already have our conference champion, Hawai’i , who collected its sixth Big West title, but there is still a battle for second place between Long Beach State (11-5), Cal State Northridge (10-6) and UC Davis (10-7).
• The Rainbow Wahine, currently 16-0 in Big West play, are just two wins away from posting a perfect conference mark. UC Santa Barbara was the last team to reach perfection, tallying an 18-0 mark in 2002. Hawai’i was flawless in its last season in the Big West, registering an 18-0 mark back in 1995.
• Cal State Northridge is just one win away from registering its first 20-win season since joining the Big West in 2001. Currently owning a 19-10 overall mark, the Matadors need to pick up a victory in one of their final two matches this week.
• On Saturday, Nov. 17, Kristin Winkler recorded 25 digs, sending her career total to the top of the Big West with 2,211 scoops. The senior libero, who surpassed the mark of 2,194, held by former Cal State Fullerton libero Cami Croteau (2007-10), has two more contests to pad her league-leading total. Winkler is only the third Big West athlete to eclipse the 2,000-dig threshold.
• A sweep over UC Davis on Nov. 17 awarded Hawai’i Head Coach Dave Shoji his 1,100 career win. Six more victories will tie him with UCLA’s Andy Banachowski for first in the nation in career wins with a minimum 10 years as a Division I head coach since 1982.
• UC Santa Barbara freshman Taylor Formico owns the top spot in the Big West record book for season digs at 733 and she still has two contests remaining to add to the impressive total. She surpassed former Gaucho Chelsey Lowe, who notched 652 scoops in 2011. UCSB now owns the top four spots in the Big West annals.
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.