Long Beach State Hosts No. 11 North Carolina To Highlight Busy Week
Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 2
All 10 Big West schools are in action this week, including a highly anticipated men's basketball showdown between No. 11 North Carolina and Long Beach State at the Walter Pyramid.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• The Big West posted an 8-7 record in week one action of the 2012-13 men’s basketball season. Conference teams were a perfect 8-0 on the home floor and, conversely, had an 0-7 showing in road games.
• All 10 Big West clubs are in action this week with some big games on tap. None are bigger than No. 11 North Carolina visiting Long Beach State on Friday. The game, which will be televised on ESPNU, is expected to be a sellout. The Tar Heels are making a return trip to Long Beach after the 49ers visited Chapel Hill in each of the last two seasons. It’s a challenging week of competition for the 49ers, who also tangle with southern California rival USC at the Galen Center Tuesday.
• UC Irvine also encounters a stiff test this week with a Tuesday visit to No. 13 UCLA. The Anteaters opened the season in impressive fashion with a 14-point win over Nevada, which won 28 games last season and claimed the Western Athletic Conference title. The game is part of the Progressive Legends Classic, a tournament that continues next week in Huntsville, Tex. as the Anteaters face Liberty, Southern Miss and host Sam Houston State. This is the third straight year that UCI and UCLA have met.
• Off to a 2-0 start, Cal State Northridge treks to the NUCDF Challenge for a busy four games in four days. The Matadors tangle with host San Diego, Siena, Tulsa and Northern Kentucky. CSUN has impressed on offense so far, averaging 88.5 points in two wins over Pepperdine and Eastern Washington at home. Junior Josh Greene dished out 13 assists, the sixth-best total for a single-game in CSUN history, against the Eagles.
• Cal State Fullerton is also involved in tournament action as the Titans head to the Basketball Travelers Tournament in Reno, Nev. The Titans play host Nevada, Southern Utah and Green Bay during the three-day event. CSF fell to Stanford in its season opener Monday despite 16 points apiece from seniors D. J. Seeley and Sammy Yeager.
• Hawai’i is off to a solid 3-0 start after three straight double-digit victories against Maryland-Eastern Shore, Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Houston Baptist in the Outrigger Hotels and Resorts Rainbow Classic. The 73-60 win against Houston Baptist was part of ESPN’s 24-hour college basketball marathon. The Rainbow Warriors now turn their attention to Illinois on Friday as part of a season-opening five-game homestand.
• For the eighth year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV. For the 2012-13 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
Big West.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s 10 member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Championships.