Men's Soccer Teams Jockey For Tournament Berths
Men's Soccer Release No. 11
Cal State Northridge, the South Division champion, awaits the completion of the Big West Men's Soccer Tournament field as teams enter the final week of the regular season vying for the final three spots.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
Entering the final week of the men’s soccer regular season, berths to the Big West Tournament are on the line in the North and South Divisions.
• The semifinals on Nov. 7 will pit the North Division No. 1 seed vs. the South Division No. 2 seed, while the South Division No. 1 seed takes on the North Division No. 2 seed.
Here are some of the scenarios as teams jockey for spots in the tournament:
• UC Davis can clinch the North Division No. 1 seed with one win this week against either Cal Poly or Sacramento State.
• Any two-way tie between Cal Poly and Sacramento State in the standings favors the Hornets. The Hornets won the season series (1-0-1) against the Mustangs in the first head-to-head tiebreaker.
• All three North Division tournament candidates – Cal Poly, Sacramento State and UC Davis – have a chance to not only make the tournament but earn the top seed.
• Cal State Northridge is the South Division champion and has wrapped up the No. 1 seed.
• Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside are battling for the No. 2 seed in the South Division. The Titans can clinch a tournament berth with a win against CSUN on Wednesday.
• CSUN, which has won 10 of its last 12 games, sits at No. 20 in this week’s Soccer America poll. The Matadors are also ranked No. 27 in College Soccer News.
• UC Davis has captured wins in six of its last seven contests to overtake the North Division. The Aggies defeated UC Santa Barbara at Harder Stadium for the first time since 2008 for their third road conference win this season.
• Senior Michael Abalos has entrenched himself in the Big West record book in several categories. The Matador goalkeeper is ranked in the career top 10 in shutouts (19 - 9th), minutes played (6145:44 - 7th), matches in goal (68 - 4th) and goalie wins (27 - 9th). In addition, he sits on the cusp of joining the top 10 for saves, needing just three more to tie UC Irvine’s Andrew Fontein (249, 2008-11) for 10th place.
• For the fifth year, institutions will air select matches on BigWest.TV, including all Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara contests. For the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.