UC Davis Overtakes First Place In North Division
Men's Soccer Release No. 10
UC Davis, winners of five of its last six games, is perched atop first place in the Big West North Division with two weeks remaining in the regular season.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• With two weeks remaining in the regular season, the Big West North Division is tightening up with critical games on tap this week.
• UC Davis (7-5-4, 5-2-0), on the strength of wins in five of its last six games, leads the North Division with 15 points. The Aggies hold a slim lead over Cal Poly (9-5-1, 4-2-1) and Sacramento State (7-6-2, 4-2-1), which are tied for second place with 13 points. UC Santa Barbara is in last place (9-3-3, 3-3-1) with 10 points. Key matches this week include Sacramento State traveling to Cal Poly, and UC Santa Barbara hosting UC Davis. The top two teams from the North Division advance to the Big West Tournament on Nov. 7 and 10.
• Cal State Northridge (11-5-0, 5-2-0), the Big West South Division leader with 15 points, has already wrapped up a berth in the conference tournament with three games to go. The Matadors can clinch the division title with a win or a tie against UC Riverside on Saturday.
• The remaining tournament berth for the North Division will be contested by Cal State Fullerton, UC Riverside and UC Irvine. The Titans own second place with seven points, capturing their first two league victories last week with offensive outbursts against the Matadors and Highlanders. CSF scored a combined eight goals in the two victories to pick up six crucial points.
• CSUN and UCSB fell in the polls after losing games last week. The Matadors are ranked No. 23 in Soccer America and No. 29 in College Soccer News. The Gauchos fell out of the Soccer America rankings, but remain visible in College Soccer News (No. 19), Soccer Times (No. 23) and NSCAA/Continental Tire (No. 25).
• The Cal Poly-UC Santa Barbara rivalry game lived up to its billing on Fox Soccer Channel when 13,467 fans swarmed through the gates for Friday’s 2-1 victory by the Mustangs. It was the first Cal Poly win at UCSB since 1998. The crowd was the fourth-largest all-time in NCAA history for a campus venue. Ten of the top 25 all-time most attended matchups have featured Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara.
• Cal State Fullerton has posted back-to-back wins for only the second time this season. The Titans had scored just three times in five previous matches before combining for eight goals versus CSUN and UCR.
• For the fifth year, institutions will air select matches on BigWest.TV, including all Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara contests. For the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.