Final Tune-Up Before Conference Championship
Files associated with this release:
12 CC Release-Week 8
• With the 2012 Big West Cross Country Championship just a little over a week away, a few teams are participating in the Titan Invitational, hosted by Cal State Fullerton, for a final tune-up. Joining the Titans in Friday’s event are Cal State Northridge, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara. The women’s 5,000-meter run kicks off the meet at 4:45 p.m. and is followed by the men’s 8K at 5:15 p.m.
• For the fifth consecutive year, the Big West Cross Country Championship takes place at the UC Riverside Ag/Ops Course on the campus of UC Riverside. This year’s event is slated for Saturday, Oct. 27 with the women’s 6,000 meters taking place at 8:45 a.m. and the men’s 8K at 9:30 a.m. Tickets prices are $5 for the general public and $2 for students from Big West Conference member institutions.
• For the first time this season the UC Davis women’s cross country is receiving votes in the United State Track & Field/Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll. Led by senior Sarah Sumpter, who finished 12th after clocking a time of 20:15.0 in the 6K, the Aggies placed tenth at the NCAA Div. I Pre-Nationals at E.P. “Tom” Sawyer Park in Louisville.
They finished ahead of several strong teams, including Kentucky which is also receiving votes in the USTFCCCA poll. UC Davis finished with 320 points, just 12 points back of ninth-place Florida, another top-30 team nationally.
• A Cal Poly athlete paces the Big West top times in all three events. Senior David Cardona owns a league-best time of 24:07.00 in the men’s 8,000 meters, while freshman Laura Hollander leads the way in both the women’s 5K and 6K races. Hollander opened the 2012 season posting a time of 16:42.12 in the 5,000-meter run, which is yet to be broken, and just last week she ran an impressive 19:33.00 in the 6K.
• Senior David Cardona and freshman Laura Hollander registered impressive performances for Cal Poly at the adidas Wisconsin Invitational and claimed Big West Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week accolades for their efforts.
Cardona’s effort helped the Mustangs to a 30th place finish in the 45 team field. Cardona covered the 8K course in a time of 24:07 to help Cal Poly edge out No. 30 Missouri in the team standings.
Hollander won the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational on Friday, posting a record 6K time of 19:33 at the Thomas Zimmer Cross Country Course. The previous course record belonged to Michigan State’s Emily MacLeod, who ran a 19:53 in 2010.