Hawai'i Maintains Lead After First Half Of Conference Play
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release-Week 9
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - October 15-21, 2012
• Hawai’i continues to hold the top spot in the Big West standings with a perfect 8-0 mark and is followed by Long Beach State in second place at 5-3. Four teams are knotted in third place with a 4-3 record. The Rainbow Wahine host two of the teams tied for third place - UC Davis (10/18) and Pacific (10/20) - this week at the Stan Sheriff Center.
• Cal State Fullerton is coming off a banner week where the Titans extended their current win streak to four with victories over UC Irvine and Long Beach State. The historic 3-1 win over the 49ers snapped a 59-match, 30-year losing streak to Long Beach State. This week the Titans pack their bags and head to the Central Coast to battle UC Santa Barbara (10/19) and Cal Poly (10/20).
• The Matadors of Cal State Northridge are ranked 12th in the country in blocks with a 2.92 average. They are led by sophomore Casey Hinger, who sits second in the conference with a 1.25 average.
• Last week Long Beach State senior Janisa Johnson eclipsed the 1,000-dig milestone to become the 11th player in LBSU history to reach 1,000 career digs, and just the fifth outside hitter, joining four All-Americans.
• Keep An Eye On: UC Irvine’s Kristin Winkler ranks third in Big West history with 1,969 digs (UCI Record) and needs 225 more scoops to claim the top spot. UC Santa Barbara freshman Taylor Formico owns 488 digs, a UCSB freshman record, ranks ninth nationally with a 5.61 dig per set average and threatening the Gauchos’ and Big West’s all-time single season records.
• Next Friday’s match between league-leading University of Hawai’i and defending Big West Champion Long Beach State at The Walter Pyramid will air on FOX Prime Ticket at 7:00 p.m.
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.