Pacific Looks To Extend Home Win Streak
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release-Week 8
• Nationally-ranked Hawai’i continues to pace the Big West Conference after going 2-0 on the road last week to improve to 7-0 in league play. Long Beach State sits second with a 4-2 mark and is followed by Pacific at 3-2.
• Pacific puts its unblemished 5-0 record at the Alex G. Spanos Center (5-0) on the line this week when it hosts the central coast duo of Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara. Dating back to last season, the Tigers have won seven straight home games with their last home loss taking place against Long Beach State on Nov. 11, 2011.
• Keep an eye on senior libero Kristin Winkler, who just took over the third sport in the Big West record book for career digs with 1,918. She needs 2,194 digs to claim the top spot currently occupied by Cal State Fullerton’s Cami Croteau (2007-10).
• Also leaving her mark in the dig category is UC Santa Barbara libero Taylor Formico. In the Gauchos victory over Cal State Northridge, Formico tallied 18 digs to improve her season total to 418 digs which earned her UCSB’s freshman record. She currently leads the conference with 434 scoops, 100 more digs than second place, and is threatening the Gauchos’ and Big West’s all-time single season records. Formico ranks 13th nationally with a 5.56 digs per set average.
• A quartet of Big West schools find themselves ranked among the nation’s best. Pacific ranks fifth in digs with an 18.52 digs per set average, while UC Santa Barbara holds the 17th spot. The Matadors of Cal State Northridge average 2.83 blocks per set, ranking them 21st and Hawai’i is hitting .268, earning them the 23rd slot. Both Hawai’i and Pacific are also ranked in the win-loss category, the Rainbow Wahine are tied for 10th (14-2, .875) and the Tigers are knotted in 20th (15-3, .833).
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.