Sacramento State Returns Home With 2-0 Big West Record
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - October 1-7, 2012
Men's Soccer Weekly Release No. 7
Sacramento State is the lone 2-0 Big West school and looks to stay undefeated in men's soccer conference play this week with visiting Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside its next opponents.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
•The new kid on the block impressed the most in week one of Big West action as Sacramento State was the only team to emerge with a 2-0 conference record. The Hornets, in their first season as a Big West associate member in men’s soccer, knocked off defending league champion UC Irvine (2-1) and Cal State Northridge (1-0 in 2OT) on the road.
• Sacramento State hosts Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside this week in the first official Big West home games at Hornet Soccer Field. The Hornets are 3-1-1 on their home pitch this season. The Highlanders are a perfect 3-0-0 in away games.
• The Hornets have scored six goals in their last three matches after netting the same amount in the previous seven outings. Five players have tallied the team’s 12 goals with a trio – Isaac Ikyurav, Gabe Silveira and Chris Sandoval – accounting for 10.
• UC Santa Barbara remained the Big West’s lone unbeaten team after topping UC Riverside and tying Cal State Fullerton last week. The Gauchos moved to 7-0-3 overall, representing the program’s best start to a season since the 2004 team remained unbeaten through the first 12 matches.
• The tie against the Titans had a marginal effect on UCSB in the national rankings. The Gauchos dropped slightly to No. 4 in the NSCAA/Continental Tire and Soccer Times poll, as well as No. 6 in Soccer America and No. 7 in College Soccer News.
• Cal State Fullerton’s 0-0 draw against UCSB was an accomplishment considering it was the first time since Oct. 1, 2011, that an opponent had blanked the Gauchos – a span of 22 contests.
• Cal Poly won its Big West opener for the sixth straight season. The Mustangs handed Cal State Fullerton a 2-0 setback on Friday. After an 0-2 start, CP has won six of its last eight games.
• The Highlanders are closing in on program history with eight victories in their first 10 contests. They set a Division I era record with nine victories in 2011.
• UC Davis scored a season-high three goals in a 3-1 triumph at UC Irvine on Sunday. The Aggies recorded a 1-4-4 record in their previous nine outings.
• For the fifth year, institutions will air select matches on BigWest.TV, including all Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara contests. For the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.