Conference Play In Full Swing; Hawai'i Maintains Unblemished Mark
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release - Week 7
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - October 1-7, 2012
Big West At A Glance
• The Gauchos of UC Santa Barbara have a busy and challenging week ahead of them as they entertain three teams at The Thunderdome, including two nationally-ranked opponents. The No. 23 Pepperdine Waves visit the Gauchos for a mid-week nonconference showdown before hosting Cal State Northridge and No. 8 Hawai’i in Big West action.
• Nationally-ranked Hawai’i paces the Big West Conference with a 5-0 league mark. Prior to joining the Big West this season, the Rainbow Wahine owned a 27-match home conference win streak. They extended the aforementioned streak to 29 after sweeping UC Irvine and defending champion Long Beach State at the Stan Sheriff Center last week.
• After struggling in nonconference action, going 5-8, UC Irvine has kicked off Big West play with an impressive 3-1 mark. Its only loss was to nationally-ranked Hawai’i.
• Pacific kept its perfect record at the Alex G. Spanos Center (5-0) intact last weekend with wins over Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside. The Tigers are on the road this week but return to home Oct. 12 & 13 to host the central coast duo - Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara.
• Keep an eye on senior libero Kristin Winkler. She recently captured UC Irvine’s number one position in career digs, and currently holds 1,883 scoops, ranking her fourth in the Big West record book. She needs 2,194 digs to claim the top spot currently occupied by Cal State Fullerton’s Cami Croteau (2007-10).
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.