Cross Country Teams Tested This Week At Two Prestigious Meets
Files associated with this release:
12 CC Release-Week 5
Big West At A Glance
• A majority of the Big West schools are headed to the Bay Area this weekend to compete in the Stanford Invitational. The prestigious event, that has a tradition of featuring some of the top teams in the country, takes place Saturday, Sept. 29 at the Stanford University Golf Course. The men’s 8,000-meter race begins at 9:50 a.m. and is followed by the women’s 6,000 meters at 10:30 a.m. The Cardinal swept last year’s event. UC Santa Barbara was the highest Big West team on the men’s side, finishing third, and the UC Davis women placed second, just one point ahead of the Cal Poly women.
• Cal Poly and Long Beach State are visiting the midwest this weekend for the 27th Annual Roy Griak Invitational hosted by the University of Minnesota at Les Bolstad Golf Course in Falcon Heights, Minn. The renowned Griak Invitational is perennially one of the largest meets in the country. The action gets underway at 6:55 a.m. (pacific).
• Cal Poly’s Laura Hollander had another stellar performance last week, winning the Pac-12 Preview hosted by UCLA at the Robinson Ranch Golf Course in Santa Clarita, Calif. The true freshman ran a time of 17:02 to take the top spot and was closely followed by UC Davis’ Sarah Sumpter, who placed second with a time of 17:07.
• After an impressive second-place finish at the Pac-12 Preview the UC Davis women's team was bumped up to the sixth slot in the USTFCCCA West Regional poll. The Aggies are the highest Big West team in the poll.
• Thanks to exceptional performances at the Pac-12 Preview, Cal Poly junior Chris Frias and freshman Laura Hollander were named the Big West Men’s and Women’s Cross County Athletes of the Week.
Frias traversed the 8K course in a time of 24:57 as the Mustangs claimed a fourth place showing at the loaded meet hosted by UCLA at the Robinson Ranch Golf Course. This is the second conference honor this season for Frias, who won the Athlete of the Week award following a second place finish at the UC Santa Barbara Lagoon Open on Sept. 1.
Hollander ran a sizzling 17:02 to capture the individual title at the Pac-12 Preview and secure her second athlete of the week award this season.
• For the fifth consecutive year, the Big West Cross Country Championship takes place at the UC Riverside Ag/Ops Course. This year’s event is slated for Saturday, Oct. 27. Tickets prices are $5 for the general public and $2 for students from Big West Conference member institutions.