Preseason Favorite Battles Defending Champion Saturday
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release-Week 6
Big West At A Glance
• Hawai’i, playing its first season in the Big West in 17 years, opened conference play with a 3-0 mark but the undefeated record didn’t come easy as two of the three matches were five-set thrillers.
• There is a lot of diversity when it comes to the volleyball individual statistics as each category is represented by a different school. Cal State Northridge’s Natalie Allen leads the way in hitting percentage with a .320 mark while Hawaii’s Emily Hartong sits atop the kills category with a 4.13 average. Pacific’s Hannah Clancy is first is assists (10.98 APS), Cal State Fullerton’s Bre Moreland paces the league with a .47 service ace average, while Victoria Lee (UC Davis - 1.39) and Taylor Formico (UC Santa Barbara - 5.51) own the top spots in blocks and digs.
• What is sure to be a battle, preseason favorite Hawai’i hosts defending champion Long Beach State at the Stan Sheriff Center Saturday evening. The Rainbow Wahine play their first home conference match against UC Irvine Thursday at 10:00 p.m. (pacific). Both the 49ers and Anteaters are 2-0 in Big West action.
• Keep an eye on senior libero Kristin Winkler. She recently captured UC Irvine’s number one position in career digs, besting Devon Sutherland’s four-year (2005-08) total of 1,756. Currently with 1,854 scoops, she sits fourth in the Big West record book. She needs 2,194 digs to claim the top spot currently occupied by Cal State Fullerton’s Cami Croteau (2007-10).
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.