Big West Title Race Begins Wednesday
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release-Week 5
Big West At A Glance
• Big West play begins this week and getting things going is newcomer Hawai’i, who visits Cal State Northridge Wednesday evening. The seventh-ranked Rainbow Wahine are 7-2 in nonconference action, while the Matadors own a 9-3 mark after winning seven of their last eight matches. The remainder of the conference hits the court this weekend with four matches on Friday and five contests Saturday night. Long Beach State is the defending champion.
• So far this season the Pacific Tigers have been nearly perfect in nonconference action, going 11-1 and claiming three tournament titles - Idaho Nike Invitational, Community Bankers Classic and Marquette Tournament. Their lone loss was against No. 8 Stanford (3-0) in the championship match of the Stanford Invitational.
• This weekend marks the first home matches of the season for UC Riverside, who opened the 2012 season with a 13-match road trip. The Highlanders entertain Hawai’i (9/21) and Cal State Northridge (9/22) at the Student Recreation Center.
• Keep an eye on UC Irvine’s Kristin Winkler. The senior libero recently captured the Anteaters’ number one position in career digs, besting Devon Sutherland’s four-year (2005-08) total of 1,756. Currently with 1,818 scoops, she sits fourth in the Big West record book and is inching her way to the top spot, which is occupied by Cal State Fullerton’s Cami Croteau, who totaled 2,194 digs from 2007-10.
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.