UC Riverside Invitational On Tap For Big West Runners
Files associated with this release:
12 CC Release-Week 3
Big West At A Glance
• The UC Riverside Highlanders are hosting their first of three cross country meets this Saturday at the UC Riverside Ag/Ops Course with the UC Riverside Invitational. Along with the Highlanders, Big West representation includes Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, UC Santa Barbara and Hawai’i. The women’s 6,000 meters begins at 7:30 a.m. and is followed by the men’s 8,000 meters at 8:05 a.m.
Next month UC Riverside hosts the Highlander Invitational (Oct. 13) and the Big West Conference Cross Country Championship (Oct. 28).
• Other events going on this weekend include Cal State Northridge and Long Beach State competing at the Aztec Invitational, Pacific at the Mills College Invite and Hawai’i participating at the BYU-Hawai’i Invitational.
• Earlier this week, Long Beach State announced the hiring of Patrick Wales-Dinan as the 49ers cross country/distance coach. Prior to his arrival at LBSU, Wales-Dinan served as the assistant cross country/track & field coach at Duke from 2011-12. During his time working with the Blue Devils, Wales-Dinan tutored one NCAA All-American, three NCAA finalists, eight NCAA qualifiers, 10 all-region performers, one conference champion and eight All-ACC runners.
• UC Irvine senior Rex Nelson and Long Beach State senior Nina Moore were selected the Big West Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Athletes of the Week after posting top 10 meet finishes.
Senior Rex Nelson ran a time of 24:57.5 over 8,000 meters to capture second place at the adidas/UCI Invitational Saturday. He competed amongst a field of 229 runners and his performance helped the Anteaters to a fourth-place finish in the 19-team meet.
Senior Nina Moore led a mixed group of Long Beach State’s top seven runners to a sixth-place showing at Saturday’s adidas/UCI Invitational. Moore placed seventh overall and was the first runner to cross the finish line who was not a member of the No. 11-ranked Arkansas team. The Santa Clarita, Calif., native ran a time of 17:43.7, trimming 15 seconds off her time from the 2011 UCI Invitational. It marked the second-fastest time ever by a 49er on that course.
• For the fifth consecutive year, the Big West Cross Country Championship takes place at the UC Riverside Ag/Ops Course. This year’s event is slated for Saturday, Oct. 27.