UC Irvine, Hawai'i Host Upcoming Meets
Files associated with this release:
12 CC Release-Week 2
• UC Irvine begins the 2012 season this Saturday when it hosts the adidas/UCI Invitational on the Anteater Recreation Center Fields. The women’s 5,000 meter race begins at 8:30 a.m. and is followed by the men’s 8,000 meters that is slated for 9:15 a.m. Joining the Anteaters are Big West Conference foes Long Beach State and Cal State Northridge, who is competing in its first event of the season. Last year UC Irvine captured the men’s title and Cal Poly claimed the women’s crown.
• The University of Hawai’i women’s cross country team hosts the 12th Annual Big Wave Invitational Saturday, Sept. 8 at the Kane’ohe Klipper Golf Course on the Marines Corps Base Hawai’i. Start time for the women’s 5K is 7:45 a.m. Over the last decade, the Rainbow Wahine have captured four Big Wave Invitational titles in 2001, 2004, 2006, and 2010.
• In her first collegiate meet, Cal Poly freshman Laura Hollander not only captured the top prize in the women’s 5K, she did so with a record-setting time. Competing at the UC Santa Barbara Lagoon Open last week, Hollander crossed the finish line in a course record 16:42.12. Even more impressive is that she outdistanced the second place finisher, teammate Daniella Moreno, by nearly a minute. Her efforts earned her Big West Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week honors.
Teammate Chris Frias, who placed second at the same meet with an 8K time of 24:56, captured the first Big West Men’s Cross County Athlete of the Week award.
• The Cal Poly men’s cross country program is receiving votes in the United States Track & Field/Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) preseason poll released last week. The Mustangs are one of seven west region teams that are either ranked or receiving votes in the current poll.
• For the fifth consecutive year, the Big West Cross Country Championship takes place at the UC Riverside Ag/Ops Course. This year’s event is slated for Saturday, Oct. 28.