UC Riverside Off To Best Start In Division I History
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - September 3-9, 2012
Men's Soccer Release No. 3
UC Riverside is 4-0 for the first time in its 12-year Division I men's soccer history. The Highlanders, appearing in the "others receiving votes" category in the NSCAA rankings, close out a five-game roadtrip on Sunday against UNLV.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Big West schools enjoyed an 8-3-4 week to improve to 15-8-5 overall against non-conference opponents through the first two weeks of the season.
• UC Riverside defeated Detroit and Long Island at the UC Irvine Invitational last week to run its record to a perfect 4-0. It marks the first 4-0 start in the 12-year Division I history of the program.
• The Highlanders knocked off Long Island by a 4-0 count, representing the most goals scored in a match since a 5-0 victory over Alabama A&M on September 4, 2010. Nine different players have scored the team’s 10 goals this season.
• UC Irvine begins a season 3-0 for the fourth consecutive year. The Anteaters downed Long Island and Detroit last week and have outscored their opponents 7-1 through three matches.
• Goalkeepers have been solid through the early portion of the campaign. UC Riverside freshman Ashkan Khosravi and UC Davis junior Omar Zeenni – the first two Big West Defensive Players of the Week – have both allowed just one goal through four contests. Zeenni owns a 0.21 goals against average and Khosravi is not far behind at 0.25. UC Irvine freshman Michael Breslin sports a 0.33 GAA with only one goal allowed in 270 minutes of action. Sacramento State’s Bryan Oliver has yielded just one score in his two appearances.
• In the polls, UC Santa Barbara stayed at No. 9 in the College Soccer News and NSCAA/Continental Tire rankings after going 1-0-1 at the Gonzaga Nike Classic last week. UC Irvine moved up one spot to No. 11 in the NSCAA/Continental Tire poll while climbing two spots to No. 13 in College Soccer News.
• The top two goal scorers in the Big West to date are newcomers to the league. UC Irvine junior Gor Kirakosyan and Cal State Northridge sophomore Sagi Lev-Ari have netted three goals apiece.
• The marquee match of the week pits No. 11 UC Irvine at No. 8 UCLA.
• For the fifth year, institutions will air select matches on BigWest.TV, including all Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara contests. For the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.