Cal State Northridge Looks To Stay Unbeaten
Links associated with this release:
This Week In The Big West
Men's Soccer Release No. 2
Cal State Northridge, seeking its first 3-0 start since 2005, must defeat No. 21 Georgetown Friday to achieve the goal.
BIG WEST AT A GLANCE
• Big West teams posted a 7-5-1 record against non-conference opponents during week one to open the 2012 season.
• Cal State Northridge (2-0), UC Riverside (2-0), UC Irvine (1-0) and UC Santa Barbara (1-0) enjoyed successful starts to the campaign. UC Davis (1-0-1) is also unbeaten after forging a scoreless tie against Cal State Bakersfield Monday.
• In the polls, UC Santa Barbara remained at No. 4 in Soccer America following a season-opening victory at Loyola Marymount. The Gauchos moved up to No. 9 in the College Soccer News and NSCAA/Continental Tire rankings. UC Irvine climbed to No. 12 in the NSCAA/Continental Tire poll while checking in at No. 15 and No. 20 in the College Soccer News and Soccer America rankings, respectively.
• CSUN started out a season 2-0 for the first time since 2005. That was the last year the Matadors participated in the NCAA Tournament. CSUN looks to go 3-0 this week with a tough match at No. 21 Georgetown Friday. The squad finishes up an east coast road trip with a Sunday matinee against Loyola (MD).
• UCR aims to rewrite program history with an opportunity to post three shutouts in a row for the first time ever. The Highlanders, which blanked Marist and Iona last weekend, face Detroit and Long Island at the UC Irvine Invitational this week. The UCR Division I era record for consecutive shutout minutes is 256:02, which spanned four contests from October 7 to October 18, 2006.
• In Friday’s 1-0 win against UNLV, UC Davis secured its first season-opening triumph since 2008.
• Two goalies did not allow a goal in their first collegiate action last week – UC Irvine redshirt freshman Michael Breslin and UC Riverside true freshman Ashkan Khosravi.
• Sacramento State hosts San Diego and No. 18 Saint Mary’s in the first two home games as a Big West member.
• For the fifth year, institutions will air select matches on BigWest.TV, including all Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara contests. For the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in its eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.