Home Tournaments On Tap This Week
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release-Week 2
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - August 27-September 2, 2012
Big West At A Glance
• After the first week of competition, the youth of the Big West has risen to the top. In five of the six statistical categories, a freshman leads the way. Jade Vorseter (Hawai’i) owns a .581 hitting percentage, Victoria Lee (UC Davis) averaged 1.64 blocks per set, Taylor Formico (UC Santa Barbara) posted a 7.00 dig average and Emily Borges (UC Riverside) tallied 11.11 assists and .78 service aces per set.
• Hawai’i and Pacific were a perfect 3-0 in the opening weekend of the 2012 season.
• Six Big West Conference schools are hosting tournaments this weekend - Long Beach State, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, Hawai’i and Pacific. Four of which showcase top 25 opponents, including top-ranked Nebraska visiting UC Irvine and No. 3 UCLA battling at UC Santa Barbara.
• UC Riverside recorded its best start to a season after opening the Hofstra Asics Invitational with back-to-back victories. They eventually fell to host Hofstra to finish the tournament with a 2-1 mark. This week the Highlanders, who are the only Big West team to play all nonconference contests on the road, continue their season-opening 13-match road trip at the Gonzaga Invitational.
• In this week’s AVCA poll, Hawai’i moved up to sixth and Long Beach State and Cal State Northridge are receiving votes. The Matadors, who went 2-1 last week, are receiving votes for the first time since 2003.
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.