Volleyball Season Begins Friday
Files associated with this release:
12 VB Release - Week 1
Links associated with this release:
This Week in the Big West - August 20-26, 2012
The 2012 Big West women's volleyball season kicks off this weekend with a multitude a preseason tournaments that span from Honolulu, Hawai'i to Hempstead, N.Y.
Big West At A Glance
• In 2012, Big West volleyball expands to 10 teams with the addition of the University of Hawai’i. The Rainbow Wahine competed in the Big West from 1985-95 and posted a 165-31 Big West record and an overall mark of 302-68.
• Cal Poly, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and Hawai’i all kick off the new season facing Top 25 competition. The Mustangs, under the guidance of first-year head coach Sam Crosson, battle No. 2 Texas and No. 19 San Diego at the Burnt Orange Classic and LBSU faces No. 13 Kentucky at the Wildcat Classic. The Rainbow Wahine entertain No. 6 Stanford as part of their home event.
• This year is set to showcase a multitude of talent as 11 2011 All-Big West First Team members return to their respective teams in 2012. Cal State Northridge paces the league with three returning members.
• Long Beach State concluded the 2011 season ranked second in the nation in blocks with a 3.15 blocks per set average. The 49ers return their top two blockers from a year ago in junior Haleigh Hampton (1.61 BPS) and sophomore Alma Serna (1.32 BPS), but Hampton suffered a shoulder injury in the offseason and her status is unkown at this time.
• For the seventh year, institutions will air all home and conference matches on BigWest.TV, and beginning with the 2012 season, all BigWest.TV events will air free of charge. Head to thisweek for weekly event schedules.
BigWest.TV brings together live and on-demand video from each of the Big West’s ten member institutions. Now in it’s eighth year, BigWest.TV covers Big West sports, press conferences, interviews and features, including every home and conference contest in women’s volleyball as well as men’s and women’s basketball. Also covered are select contests in men’s and women’s soccer, baseball, softball and Big West Conference Championships.