Cal Poly Wins First Men's Tennis Championship
Files associated with this release:
CP-UCSB Men's Results
Links associated with this release:
Big West Men's Tennis Championship Page
Top-seeded Cal Poly defeated No. 2 seed UC Santa Barbara, 4-3, in an intense four hour and 15 minute match to notch the first Big West Men's Tennis Championship in program history. The Mustangs left Indian Wells Tennis Garden as the Big West automatic qualifier to the NCAA Division I Championship.
After missing in their first two championship match attempts in 2007 and 2010, the Mustangs came through and received a clutch contribution from someone who wasn't even intended to be in the lineup at the start of the championship.
But senior Sebastian Bell made the most of his opportunity. Bell was inserted into the lineup at No. 2 doubles and No. 6 singles when regular No. 2 player Brian McPhee could not play due to injury.
With the match tied at 3-3, the deciding point came down to Bell and his UC Santa Barbara counterpart Max Glenn. Bell outlasted Glenn in a 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (3) marathon, setting off a wild celebration on the courts.
The Mustangs sprinted out to a 2-0 lead after claiming the doubles point and winning the first singles match. No. 1 player Andre Dome breezed to a 6-3, 6-1 win against Mathieu Forget.
UCSB responded with wins from Sasha Gryaznov and Mbonisi Ndimande at No. 5 and No. 3, respectively. Gryaznov defeated Marco Comuzzo 6-4, 6-2 and Ndimande downed Jordan Bridge 6-3, 6-4. But the Mustangs extended their advantage to 3-2 as Jurgen DeJager, playing with a sore ankle, knocked off Ziad Sultan 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4.
Benjamin Recknagel kept the Gauchos' chances alive when he outlasted Matt Fawcett in three sets by a 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 score, setting up the showdown in the No. 6 position. Bell had played in only two singles matches since March 10 before getting his opportunity in the desert sun.
Cal Poly learns its first round opponent and destination for the NCAA Championships on Tuesday, May 1 at 2:30 p.m. (PDT) on NCAA.com.
BIG WEST TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN
(1) CAL POLY 4, (2) UC SANTA BARBARA 3
1. Dome/Fawcett (CP) def. Forget/Recknagel (UCSB) - 8-2
2. Bridge/Bell (CP) vs. Ndimande/Johnson (UCSB) - DNF
3. DeJager/Comuzzo (CP) def. Sultan/Gryaznov (UCSB) - 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Andre Dome (CP) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) - 6-3, 6-1
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Matt Fawcett (CP) - 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
3. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) - 6-3, 6-4
4. Jurgen DeJager (CP) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) - 6-2, 6-4
5. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP) - 6-4, 6-2
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. Max Glenn (UCSB) - 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 4, 2, 6