Long Beach State Reclaims Women's Tennis Tournament Title
Links associated with this release:
Tennis Championships Page
Post-match features on BigWest.TV:
LBSU coach Jenny Hilt-Costello on regaining the Big West crown
LBSU senior Deborah Armstrong on clinching the 49ers' title
For the seventh time in the last eight years, Long Beach State won the Big West Women's Tennis tournament title. The 49ers outlasted UC Irvine 4-1 at Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Sunday, avenging last season's loss to the Anteaters in the final.
Long Beach State (20-5) claimed the conference's automatic berth into the NCAA Championship. The 49ers will know their opponent and site on Tuesday, May 3 at 2:00 p.m. when the 64-team bracket is announced on www.ncaa.com.
The 49ers played without No. 1 doubles and No. 2 singles player Klaudia Malenovska, who sustained an injury early on in LBSU's semifinal match against Pacific Saturday. That forced the 49ers to move players up in the lineup and insert Anna Jeczmionka at No. 6 singles and Deborah Armstrong at No. 1 doubles.
Momentum swung LBSU's way after winning a couple of close matches in doubles. Anais Dallara and Armstrong at No. 1, and Rachel Manasse and Jaklin Alawi at No. 2 posted identical 9-7 victories to give the 49ers a 1-0 lead.
Brooke Schweyer knocked off Sarah Cantlay 6-2, 6-2 to tie the contest at 1-1, but the 49ers came up huge in a couple of key tiebreaker situations.
A battle between LBSU's Anais Dallara and UCI's Courtney Byron ensued at court No. 1, with Dallara prevailing 6-4, 7-6 (3). Jeczmionka proved her ability in the lineup with a 7-6 (5), 6-1 triumph at No. 6 against Hannah Holladay, giving the 49ers a 3-1 advantage.
Armstrong, the lone senior on the LBSU squad, clinched the match with her 7-5, 6-2 win against Rebecca Kwan at No. 2.
The 49ers have won eight straight contests heading into the NCAA Tournament. UCI finishes its season at 12-13.
1. Dallara/Malenovska (LBSU) vs. Holladay/Kwan (UCI) - 9-7
2. Manasse/Alawi (LBSU) def. Byron/Smith (UCI) - 9-7
3. Cantlay/Luzar (LBSU) vs. Goettsching/M. Young (UCI) - DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. Anais Dallara (LBSU) def. Courtney Byron (UCI) - 6-4, 7-6 (3)
2. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) def. Rebecca Kwan (UCI) - 7-5, 6-2
3. Rachel Manasse (LBSU) vs. Kristina Smith (UCI) - DNF
4. Jaklin Alawi (LBSU) vs. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) - DNF
5. Brooke Schweyer (UCI) def. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) - 6-2, 6-2
6. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Hannah Holladay (UCI) - 7-6 (5), 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 6, 2
Photo by Robert Burge