UC Irvine Repeats As Men's Tennis Tournament Champion
Links associated with this release:
Tennis Championships Page
Post-match features on BigWest.TV:
UCI coach Trevor Kronemann on defending the Big West crown
UCI junior Chris Kearney on clinching the Anteaters' title
Top-seeded UC Irvine knocked off No. 4 seed Pacific 4-0 to capture its second straight Big West Men's Tennis tournament title at Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Sunday.
The Anteaters earned the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship and find out their opponent and destination when the bracket is announced on Tuesday, May 3 at 2:30 p.m. (PDT) on www.ncaa.com.
UCI (19-7) won the doubles point and three singles matches in straight sets to seal the victory. The Anteaters solidified the doubles point at No. 1 as Chris Kearney and Stephen Stege slid past Ivan Castro and Alex Golding, 8-6.
Singles victories at No. 5, No. 1 and No. 6 in succession clinched the title for UCI. Shan Sondhu, battling a stomach ailment during the tournament, rolled to a 6-2, 6-2 triumph against Golding to put UCI up 2-0. Steven Henderson then posted a 6-2, 6-3 win against Lance Dugan. Kearney, ranked No. 39 nationally in singles, finished off the Tigers with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1 against Artem Gramma.
This is the third time in eight years at Indian Wells Tennis Garden that UCI has won the title. It is the 14th Big West tournament title for the Anteaters, most in conference history.
Photo by Robert Burge
1. Kearney/Stege (UCI) vs. Castro/Golding (PAC) - 8-6
2. Henderson/Gould (UCI) vs. Ristow/Thomson (PAC) - DNF
3. Cheung/Matthews (UCI) def. Gramma/Krzyszkowski (PAC) - 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. Chris Kearney (UCI) def. Artem Gramma (PAC) - 6-3, 6-2
2. Sam Gould (UCI) vs. Tomasz Krzyszkowski (PAC) - DNF
3. Fabian Matthews (UCI) vs. Fernando Ristow (PAC) - DNF
4. Ryan Cheung (UCI) vs. Ivan Castro (PAC) - DNF
5. Shan Sondhu (UCI) def. Alex Golding (PAC) - 6-2, 6-2
6. Steven Henderson (UCI) def. Lance Dugan (PAC) - 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 6