Cal Poly Men, UC Santa Barbara Women Claim Big West Cross Country Championships
Files associated with this release:
The Cal Poly men's team won its fourth-straight championship, while the UC Santa Barbara women's contingent reclaimed its crown at the 2006 Big West Cross Country Championships at Fairbanks Cross Country Course in San Luis Obispo, Calif.
The 24th-ranked Mustangs their recent dominance in tight fashion as they tallied 29 points, just four points better than #13 UC Santa Barbara's 33 tallies. Third place belonged to UC Irvine (106), with Long Beach State (110) and Cal State Fullerton (140) coming in behind the Anteaters. UC Riverside (150) and Cal State Northridge (192) rounded out the men’s standings.
Cal Poly posted four runners in the top 10 and scored all five of its runners in the top 12 to claim the crown. The contingent was led by individual champion Phillip Reid, who completed the 8K course in 25:45.6. Evan Anderson (4th-26:11.6), Troy Swier (5th-26:12.4), Jameson Mora (7th-26:19.7) and Joe Gatel (12th-26:49.9) rounded out the Mustang scorers.
The Gauchos were right on Cal Poly's heels thanks to four runners in the top 10 and another in the top 12. Mike Chavez led the way with a second place finish in 25:47.7, while J.D. Krawczyk was right behind him in third at 26:03.1. Micah Tyhurst (8th-26:22.2), 2005 individual champion Chris Ashley (9th-26:26.1) and Tim Aukshunas (11th-26:32.4) rounded out the UCSB contingent of scorers.
Rounding out the top 10 on the men’s side were UC Irvine's Ricky Barnes (6th-26:16.1) and Cal State Fullerton's Jordan Horn (10th-26:29).
UC Santa Barbara's women reclaimed the Big West title thanks to its lowest-ever score at the championship with 26 points. Long Beach State was second thanks to a school-record effort of 72 points, while UC Irvine was right behind the 49ers with 75 tallies. Fourth place belonged to UC Riverside with 84 points, while host Cal Poly finished fifth with 140 points. Cal State Fullerton (141), Cal State Northridge (203) and Pacific (251) rounded out the women’s side.
The Gauchos' Lauren Christman claimed the overall crown with a course-record time of 21:07.5 UCSB dominated the top 10 as six more runners claimed six of the nine remaining spots. Lindsay Christman (4th-21:43.1), Danielle Domenichelli (6th-22:15.7), Hadas Moser (7th-22:20.1), Megan Lewis (8th-22:27.6), Bethany Nickless (9th-22:29.5) and Liza Hitchner (10th-22:30.2).
Long Beach State's Meredith Kramon was the 49ers' only top 10 finisher (5th-22:08.0), but thanks to the top 20 finishes of Jenessa Botello (13th-22:59.6), Ludi Valdez (14th-23:00.1) and Nicole Blalock (18th-23:08.1), LBSU jumped in front of UC Irvine to claim second.
UC Irvine had two finishers in the top 3 in Laura Olvera (2nd-21:23.9) and Sara Mickelson (3rd-21:30.9) to round out the top 10.
2006 Big West Cross Country Championships
Fairbanks Cross Country Course, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Women's 6K Results
1. Lauren Christman, UC Santa Barbara – 21:07.5
2. Laura Olvera, UC Irvine – 21:23.9
3. Sara Mickelson, UC Irvine – 21:30.9
4. Lindsay Christman, UC Santa Barbara – 21:43.1
5. Meredith Kramon, Long Beach State – 22:08.0
6. Danielle Domenichelli, UC Santa Barbara – 22:15.7
7. Hadas Moser, UC Santa Barbara – 22:20.1
8. Megan Lewis, UC Santa Barbara – 22:27.6
9. Bethany Nickless, UC Santa Barbara – 22:29.5
10. Liza Hitchner, UC Santa Barbara – 22:30.2
Men's 8K Results
1. Philip Reid, Cal Poly – 25:45.6
2. Mike Chavez, UC Santa Barbara – 25:47.7
3. J.D. Krawczyk, UC Santa Barbara – 26:03.1
4. Evan Anderson, Cal Poly – 26:11.6
5. Troy Swier, Cal Poly – 26:12.4
6. Ricky Barnes, UC Irvine – 26:16.1
7. Jameson Mora, Cal Poly – 26:19.7
8. Micah Tyhurst, UC Santa Barbara – 26:22.2
9. Chris Ashley, UC Santa Barbara – 26:26.1
10. Jordan Horn, Cal State Fullerton – 26:29.4