Jew, Denholm Lead Squads To Impressive Wins
TOMMY JEW, UC SANTA BARBARA – FIELD PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Junior • OF • San Ramon, Calif. • Dougherty Valley HS
• Tommy Jew earned his second career Big West Baseball Field Player of the Week honor as he helped UC Santa Barbara to an impressive road sweep of Tulane.
• The outfielder hit .526 (10-for-19) with two home runs, eight RBIs and six runs scored in a 4-0 week for the Gauchos.
• He slugged at a 1.000 clip and added three stolen bases.
• Jew began the week going 2-for-4 with a double, home run and two runs scored in a 5-3 victory at Pepperdine.
• He homered again in the series finale at Tulane – his fifth roundtripper of the year – as the Gauchos smoked the Green Wave, 16-6. Tulane was 10-3 entering the weekend series.
• Jew had multiple hits in all four games, and hit 8-for-15 against Tulane. He had three hits in the first two games of the series, including a pair of doubles.
• He went 3-for-5 with three RBIs in Saturday’s 8-7 nailbiter and posted a career-high three stolen bases.
• Jew also made a spectacular catch at the wall on Friday to rob a Green Wave player of a home run.
Others nominated: Isaiah Garcia (Cal State Fullerton); Jayson Newman (CSUN); Tanner Carlson (Long Beach State); Maaki Yamazaki (Hawai‘i)
TRENTON DENHOLM, UC IRVINE – PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • RHP • El Dorado Hills, Calif. • Oak Ridge HS
• UC Irvine sophomore Trenton Denholm collected his second career Big West Baseball Pitcher of the Week award after tossing eight innings of one-hit shutout ball against St. John’s
• The right-hander extended his shutout streak to 19 innings pitched and lowered his season ERA to 0.93 as he stymied the Red Storm on 87 pitches in the best performance of his career.
• His eight innings pitched represented a career high.
• Denholm allowed just a one-hit double in the second and just four baserunners for the game as his performance helped UCI clinch a fourth series victory.
• Denholm yielded only one walk and struck out five batters. He has surrendered just one hit over his last 16.2 innings pitched.
Others nominated: Wesley Moore (CSUN); Adam Seminaris (Long Beach State); Ben Brecht (UC Santa Barbara); Jeremy Wu-Yelland (Hawai‘i)