Ortlip, Melounova Take Down Top Competition
JOSH ORTLIP, CAL POLY • MEN'S TENNIS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Senior • Irvine, Calif. • Woodbridge TC
Earning his fourth career Big West Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week award, Cal Poly senior Josh Ortlip did his part in helping his squad nearly take down a top 25 opponent.
• Ortlip’s Mustangs lost a heartbreaker to No. 22 Arizona by a 4-3 score. Ortlip earned his most impressive singles and doubles wins of the season in the process.
• He collected a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles over Arizona’s Jonas Ziverts.
• Despite Cal Poly losing the doubles point, Ortlip and partner Dominic Bechard did everything they could to seal it. The duo won their match at No 1, defeating Ziverts and Carlos Hassey, 6-4.
• Ortlip is now 4-3 on the year in singles dual contests.
Others nominated: Lucas Labrunie (Hawai‘i)
PETRA MELOUNOVA, HAWAI‘I • WOMEN'S TENNIS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Junior • Havlickuv Brod, Czech Republic • Gymnazium Havlickuv Brod
Hawai‘i junior Petra Melounova secured her sixth career Big West Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week award – her first of the 2019 season – after earning one of her most impressive singles victories as a member of the ‘Bows.
• Melounova, ranked No. 119 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association singles poll, upset 34th-ranked Salma Ewing of USC in a road match at Marks Tennis Stadium.
• Melounova dropped the first set by a break, but came storming back to defeat Ewing by scores of 4-6, 6-0, 6-4.
• It was Melounova’s fourth win over a ranked player in her dual match career.
• Melounova also won her fourth straight dual match in improving to 5-1 on the year.
• Her effort enabled UH to pick up its lone point in a 4-1 loss to the No. 32 team in the nation.
Others nominated: Natalia Munoz (Long Beach State); Nikita Pradeep (UC Davis); Danielle Garrido (UC Irvine); Juliana Valero (UC Santa Barbara)